Mapsource questions

I did a search about the mapsource and I can't come up with the answers I want. :huh: So I'll ask you all!

I have a Garmin etrex and was looking at the MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager. How do I put this

program on my gps? Do you put it on the gps? Is is worth getting? Is it better then the map that already

comes in my gps?

So many questions from a person who is not machanically inclined! :D Sorry folks, but I am trying!!

Thanks for all the help I can get.

CountryGirl

I did a search about the mapsource and I can't come up with the answers I want. :huh: So I'll ask you all!

I have a Garmin etrex and was looking at the MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager. How do I put this

program on my gps? Do you put it on the gps? Is is worth getting? Is it better then the map that already

comes in my gps?

The program does not go on your GPS at all. As the name might suggest, the T&WM manages waypoints and routes on the pc and GPS.

You cable the gps to the pc and use the manager to communicate with the GPS.

If your GPS came with a basemap it must not be the plain "yellow etrex", as the plain etrex has no ability to map.

The T&WM has a PC loadable mapset with may be useful for generating routes and waypoints, but that mapset cannot be uploaded to the GPS in any usual sense.

More info on the product's webpage.

My goof. I have the legend (blue). I have the cable so I can download way points. Is this the cable I would use for that too?

Would that be worth my money or is printing maps off the internet good enough. If the map can not go on the gps then I am back to printing a map for my trip.

CountryGirl

The program does not go on your GPS at all. As the name might suggest, the T&WM manages waypoints and routes on the pc and GPS.

You cable the gps to the pc and use the manager to communicate with the GPS.

If your GPS came with a basemap it must not be the plain "yellow etrex", as the plain etrex has no ability to map.

The T&WM has a PC loadable mapset with may be useful for generating routes and waypoints, but that mapset cannot be uploaded to the GPS in any usual sense.

More info on the product's webpage.

Sir:

By checking the Garmin web page for you unit I found you can store upto 8 Megs of downloaded map data. I have Mapsource for my Garmin GPS III+ and V and I like the program. You can select more detail section of maps (than the basemap in the unit) and download them to the GPS. In Mapsource you can make waypoints and routes much easier then in the GPSr.

I hope this helps you.

Paul

My goof. I have the legend (blue). I have the cable so I can download way points. Is this the cable I would use for that too?

Would that be worth my money or is printing maps off the internet good enough. If the map can not go on the gps then I am back to printing a map for my trip.

Same cable.

I can't say whether or not detailed maps would be worth the $$$ for you. They were for me.

You could likely get a used copy of an older MetroGuide at a pretty good discount.

I have a question along the same line. I have an eTrex Legend C.

Today when trying to download mapping data from MapSource, the MapSource software did not seem to recognize the USB connection with my GPSr. It only listed options for using a serial port which, of course, my GPSr does not have.

Can anyone assist with this question? I would really like to get the more detailed mapping offered by MapSource as opposed to just having the base map.

Thanks.

Make sure you have the latest version of MapSource downloaded from Garmin.

I suspect the version is recent enough that it should work. Here's a little more info.

There are two device "screens", one for serial ports (with several ports listed) and the other for USB devices (but there's nothing in that list).

If "Auto Detect" is selected, MapSource does not detect the GPSr.

I have a question along the same line. I have an eTrex Legend C.

Today when trying to download mapping data from MapSource, the MapSource software did not seem to recognize the USB connection with my GPSr. It only listed options for using a serial port which, of course, my GPSr does not have.

Can anyone assist with this question? I would really like to get the more detailed mapping offered by MapSource as opposed to just having the base map.

Thanks.

Download the USB Drivers:

I had a problem with the Trip & Waypoint Manager that came with my 60CSx. I already had mapsource installed, then installed it to see what it was. Guess what. Nothing worked after that. I had to uninstall the whole works, then reinstall Mapsource. I plugged in my GPS, and when it asked for the CD, I stuck the Trip & Waypoint Manager in to install ONLY the USB drivers. Everything works great now. Not sure what the problem was.