60CSx Map Set Up-Info Page

Ckingrex

Another newbie question. I can find no info in my owners manual for the 60CSx that will tell me the meanings of the settings that appear when I press the "Menu Key" while the "Map Setup-Information" page is showing. It mentions it on Page 45 of the manual at the top of the right column. I am especially intrigued by the "Show All" option, as it leads me to believe that "City Navigator and TOPO" will both be shown, which of course they aren't. Has anyone seen an explanation anywhere regarding these options? I can't even see a picture that shows them. Thanks for your help.:::REX

Are you talking about this menu?

mp_mapset_ss3.gif

SHOW ALL does show all of your maps but the maps are not transparent and you will see the one with the highest draw priority. The show all, hide all, show/hide option on each mapset lets you easily select which one you want to be visible.

Hope that helps,

Indy

Edited by IndyJpr

Are you talking about this menu?

mp_mapset_ss3.gif

SHOW ALL does show all of your maps but the maps are not transparent and you will see the one with the highest draw priority. The show all, hide all, show/hide option on each mapset lets you easily select which one you want to be visible.

Hope that helps,

Indy

Yes, that is the one. If I want to use TOPO, all I have to do is Check "Hide City Navigator", is that correct? What is "Base Map"? Why doesn't Garmin explain all these things in their owner's manual? Is there a way to get a more detailed owners manual? Seems like so many things are left unsaid, just like this menu. Thanks for the help. It is always appreciated.:::REX

Yes, that is the one. If I want to use TOPO, all I have to do is Check "Hide City Navigator", is that correct?

Yes, or hide all and show topo.

What is "Base Map"? Why doesn't Garmin explain all these things in their owner's manual? Is there a way to get a more detailed owners manual? Seems like so many things are left unsaid, just like this menu. Thanks for the help. It is always appreciated.:::REX

Basemap is the very limited map included with the units - in the US I believe it just covers interstates and major highway. It has no side street detail and is pretty limited in use.

As far as the manual - even if they tried (which they don't) - it would be pretty hard (and expensive) to keep the manual up to date. Garmin tends to add features during every firmware revision and it would be difficult for them to keep the manual in sync. For example, the menu you were asking about was only added a year or so ago with a firmware update.

And in the end the manual is good enough for beginners. Once you get more advanced you'll tend to navigate to forums like this or the corresponding Yahoo groups, etc.

Indy

As far as the manual - even if they tried (which they don't) - it would be pretty hard (and expensive) to keep the manual up to date. Garmin tends to add features during every firmware revision and it would be difficult for them to keep the manual in sync. For example, the menu you were asking about was only added a year or so ago with a firmware update.

Its not that hard to have an up-to-date manual. Make a firmware change and you spit out 1 page of errata and tuck it into the box along with all the advertising crap.

Too hard? Fine, post the PDF of the errata along with its firmware version.

I agree that you can't include War and Peace in every box. The real problem is that garmin doesn't have indepth documentation online. These are their top-of-the-line models. They should have a website where you can click through the screens and see the options at each step. It's not like they don't know what the screens are and what they're adding and changing.

Now to the question:

1. You'll only see City Navigator and US Topo in the list if you've purchased and installed these maps on your GPS. If you have other map "types" installed (ie: custom things you've made) those will probably appear in this list too.

2. This is a somewhat poorly designed menu, although it is a little complex what they need to display.

What it SHOULD show you is which maps are being displayed AND IN WHICH ORDER

What is actually shows you in what maps you have installed and if they're on or off.

For example on my gps it has:

Restore Defaults

Restore All Map Defaults

Show All

Show None

Hide Basemap

Hide Americas Marine Po

Hide City Navigator Nort

Hide US Topo

This is misleading because the order of precedence is:

1. Americas Marine Points (transparent)

2. City Nav

3. US Topo

4. Basemap

Ie: hide city nav and topo shows, hide both city nav AND topo and basemap shows. Hide just topo or just basemap and "nothing" happens.

So what it should show is something like:

Restore Defaults

Restore All Map Defaults

Show All

Hide All

Hide US Marine (Overlay)

Hide City Navigator Nort

Hide US Topo

Hide Basemap