Pocket PC or Palm with GPS

kstate

I have and etrex legend. However, there is a golf mapping package that I want to buy it which can be used only with a GPS unit attached to a Pocket PC or Palm.

Are there some good recommendations for these type of units.

or,

Is there a source for Golf Specific Software for a GPS unit.

I currently have set up routes for each hole and then navigate the routes as I play. I was looking for something a little more sophisticated.

I know that they make golf specific GPS units with mapping software but I was wanting a GPS unit that is a little more versatile.

One option is to connect your etrex and PDA directly to use the etrex as the external GPS. Look here for two references:

http://www.pc-mobile.net/gedc.htm

http://www.thesupplynet.com/searchResults....;ProdMadeBy=289

Another option is, as you say, to buy a separate GPS for your PDA. Some good sources for cabled or bluetooth or flash card add-ons can be found at:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/

http://www.semsons.com/

Either way, you might want to consider external power (like the cigarette lighter in a golf cart, if you use a golf cart) because the battery in a PDA is unlikely to last an 18-hole round.

Don't know anything about programs that might be available for the GPS only.

Edited by Steel City Seekers

You don't say what PDA you have or intend to buy, but I suggest you get one with bluetooth, and connect to the GPS that way. It's much, much more convenient than using a cable. The cheapest way is to get a bluetooth adapter from PC-Mobile, and using it to connect to your Legend. I do that regularly, and it's easy, and cheaper than buying a new bluetooth GPS. The adapter uses 2 AA batteries, the same as the eTrex, and they last for a very long time. Another option is to get a GPS built into either a compact flash or SD card, which just plugs into the PDA. CF only works with some PPC handhelds, and SD is more common. They also use the PDA for power, so the battery life will be greatly reduced. I think bluetooth is the way to go, although it will also decrease the battery life somewhat. It's possible to get USB power adapters that plug into a standard cigarette lighter and provide power through the USB sync cable, if you're using a cart which has a cigarette lighter, but I suspect those aren't very common. Sam's Wholesale Club reportedly has a charger that uses AA or rechargeable batteries, but I haven't seen them personally, only read about them. Proporta sells a charger that plugs into a Palm and recharges it with a standard 9V battery. I have one of those, and it works. One battery gives 2 or 3 good charges, so one would work for a round of golf easily.

I'm not aware of any GPS units that have golf-specific features, only PDA programs.

Well to add to my story. My Etrex just died due to a loose connector ribbon and I was unable to repair.

So, I am in the market for a new GPS. In addition, I am willing to buy a new PDA to run some of the golf software. I am looking for versatility in that I want a GPS that I can use for geocaching, golf maps and street directions. I also want durability.

If I hear you guys correctly I should buy a PDA that is bluetooth capable. Would it be better to buy another Garmin GPS and a bluetooth adapter or just buy a bluetooth GPS.

Looking for recommendations here.

You guys are the best resource for this.

Most bluetooth GPS receivers are just that - they have no display at all, and depend entirely on another device - PDA, laptop PC, or whatever - for everything. You will have to have a PDA to do anything with it, forever. If you want to do geocaching, I would recommend getting a decent handheld GPS, which is durable, waterproof, and has a display so it can be used alone. If you want to connect it to a PDA for golfing software, you can either do it by cable, or by bluetooth. Most of the newer GPS receivers seem to be USB now, and you can't use USB to connect to a PDA, only a PC. You can't even connect to the bluetooth adapter via USB. USB is great for connecting to a Windows PC, but worthless for anything else. Make sure you get a model that has a true serial capability. If you don't want to be tied to the cable, then get a bluetooth adapter, which you connect to the GPS via a cable, and then leave both on the cart of wherever, while you can walk around freely with the PDA, getting position information from the GPS via bluetooth radio.

NightPilot,

Thanks for the information. I was thinking along the same lines as you about a bluetooth GPS. Considering the cost of a PDA to run golf software in comparison to buying a golf specific GPS they are about the same.

So, it might be best just to own 2 differenct GPS devices (1 for golf and 1 for general use) and forget the PDA.

Igolf and Sky Caddy are the most popular ones out right now. The iGolf unit is about $230 and you buy a subscription for certain course maps. Sky Caddy has 4 different units, $240 - $325+, here again you have to buy a subscription for the maps.

Each mapped course is customizable and when you get a mapped course you own it.