Suitability of Container: Perm-A-Store 3480 Turtle

BillsBayou

Perm-A-Store Turtles

Some of you fellow geeks will recognize these containers. These are tape boxes for IBM mainframe tape cartridges. I've got more than 100 of these little beasties. ;)

126211409-O.jpg

Dimensions: 15.25"L x 6.5"D x 6.5"H

126211416-O.jpg

I did a rain test on these and they are NOT WATERPROOF. But still... what can I do with these? My wife's idea is to put a 1-gallon Ziploc inside. I guess that'd work.

I'm taking them all to the dump if nobody wants them. I hate throwing away anything if it's useful.

Anybody know if these have any real value outside of holding mainframe tapes?

If they are not waterproof they are of limited usefulness as a geocache. If you find a spot where it will be sheltered from the elements it can be used, but generally I think you should consider another kind of container.

Do not rely on Ziploc bags to keep the contents dry unless you plan to visit the cache every couple of weeks to change the bag. Ziplocs quickly develop holes (a pen or pencil inside usually speeds up this process) and eventually the "loc" doesn't work anymore.

Basically you're asking for a maintenance nightmare if you try to use these.

An idea. They look like they might make decent tool or tackle boxes. How about selling them on Ebay? Call them "utility boxes". That way they won't go to waste and you might make a few bucks.

Edited by briansnat