Diary of a Newbie

yonorri

Here's a handy hint, don't go cache hunting in the snow. The snow makes it virtually impossible to determine a cahce from a lump in the ground :P

I had a great route planned yesterday, take the mountain bike, along with Mamsey Bear, a camera, my faithful GPS, some sarnies, energy bars and plenty of water, for an 18 mile ride which encompassed 9 cache points, my first ones.

I'd been planning this route for a couple of weeks now so I wasn't going to let a flurry of snow stop me!

Snow over mud isn't the easiest thing to cycle on but I persisted for 8 miles, visiting 4 of my 9 caches and not finding one <_< Well I found all the locations easy enough just not the caches themselves.

I hadn't taken the spoilers with me as I know I can do it without!

After not finding the fourth cache I had to curtail my cycling activities and head for home as I'd run out of energy and I'd eaten all my food.

Anyway I'm going for it again on Monday, weather permitting, I may even take the spoilers, so wish me luck.

Mamsey%20in%20the%20snow.jpg

I told him it was more than a flurry!

Most new cachers will try a traditional cache, probably near their home, in some fair weather, as their "first find"... so you're not making it easy for yourself! <_< Did you check what size caches you were looking for? If they were micros that could have made the task even more difficult for you. I'm glad you haven't been deterred from trying again... so good luck for Monday !

MrsB :unsure:

P.S. If you still can't find any, come back and tell us. We won't laugh (Well, maybe just a little titter :P ) and I'm sure someone local to you would then give you a few extra hints.

Edited by The Blorenges

Oh, I'll find them, I'm that sort of person (how do you do a determined, dogged and persistant smiley?)

One of the caches was a 2 litre box, even I should have been able to find that, mind you something that big needs to be cleverly hidden...

Anyway Monday looks like being a bit warmer and much less snowy, so it should all be easier, but to make it interesting I'll do my route in reverse order, that way I'll get to see those hiding places I didn't see before.

A little difficulty makes life more interesting :drama:

Don't be afraid to use spoilers as it is often the location which makes the hunt worthwhile - but do be careful in snow conditions not to make it obvious to muggles where a cache is hidden, i.e. if you have left a trail in the snow direct to the cache, trample out a decoy trail or two to make it less likely you will be followed.

After I'd been looking for the caches on Wednesday it looked as though a herd of wild elephants had been tromping around the place :D I also think that the snow had mostly gone by mid-afternoon, however good advice.

Our motto when travelling in Africa was;

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints (as long as they don't lead to a cache!)

Of course the motto didn't inlude the bit in brackets as my travels took place before the advent of Geocaching.