Combine LOC files then load?

chuckr30

I have a Garmin 76csx. I use EasyGPS to load the free LOC files from geocaching.com. However, I often download 10 or more LOC files, and in Easygps I have to open each LOC file, then click Send to GPS. I believe these are text files. Can I concat multiple LOC files together then use EasyGPS to load all geocaches from one big LOC file?

I have windows XP.

I have a Garmin 76csx. I use EasyGPS to load the free LOC files from geocaching.com. However, I often download 10 or more LOC files, and in Easygps I have to open each LOC file, then click Send to GPS. I believe these are text files. Can I concat multiple LOC files together then use EasyGPS to load all geocaches from one big LOC file?

They are text, but are XML so concatenation would end up with a poorly-formed document that Easy would likely reject.

You can use something like gpsbabel to combine them. Or multiply select the files to open them all at once (ctrl-a or whatever). You'd still have to send them individually, but at least you wouldn't have to open them individually.

I think GC should allow users (premium or otherwise) to collect waypoints from multiple pages and download them all at once, but AFAIK it isn't being done that way now.

I cannot select multiple files in Easygps to open them (tried that) nor can I select multiple LOC files to send them to a GPS because each LOC file opens as its own tab in the Easygps interface.

You are right. LOC files are XML. I was thinking of some other GPS file I viewed which was simply a single line of text. Perhaps it was a GPX file.

There is a program called "EasyGPS Companion" that supposedly will combine multiple .loc files and create a single output file that contains all the data from the multiple .loc files.

Unfortunately I do not have a source for program. Good news is the information is buried somewhere on this forum... Author did not deem it necessary for include contact information for program which is a bummer...

<Edit> UPDATE...

Found program source...

http://www.factsfacts.com/geocachingsoft/EZCompanion.htm

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

There is a program called "EasyGPS Companion" that supposedly will combine multiple .loc files and create a single output file that contains all the data from the multiple .loc files.

Unfortunately I do not have a source for program. Good news is the information is buried somewhere on this forum... Author did not deem it necessary for include contact information for program which is a bummer...

Dale

You can download EasyGPS Companion from this Web site.

--Larry

I cannot select multiple files in Easygps to open them (tried that) nor can I select multiple LOC files to send them to a GPS because each LOC file opens as its own tab in the Easygps interface.

In my version of EasyGPS I can CTRL-A or CTRL-leftclick to selectively add. I don't know why this doesn't work for yours.

You are right. LOC files are XML. I was thinking of some other GPS file I viewed which was simply a single line of text. Perhaps it was a GPX file.

poi .csv files are plain text, one record per line. Maybe that's what's coming to mind.