newbie with Garmin 60Csx

penelopek

When I get my Garmin 60Csx, will it have the latest "firmware". Can this be upgraded if not?

(I bought it from Amazon.com). Can I buy a micro SD (for example, "West Coast and Hawaii", and just put it into the Garmin and start hunting, or do I have to "load" it, somehow, using a PC computer?

Last question for now: is anyone using Mac computers? Might there be a source for help using a Garmin with a Mac.? (I know I can't upload maps to the Garmin with the Mac).

It probably won't have the latest software on it, as new software came out last week. You'll need to run the Garmin webupdater, and it'll take care of the updates. this only runs on windows however. I run the webupdater and mapsource in parallels on my mac. Garmin at this point doesn't have native mac software, though it has promised it in the future (don't expect it anytime soon though).

When I get my Garmin 60Csx, will it have the latest "firmware". Can this be upgraded if not?

probably not - yes they can be upgraded .. very painless .. Use Garmins WebUpdator package

(I bought it from Amazon.com). Can I buy a micro SD (for example, "West Coast and Hawaii", and just put it into the Garmin and start hunting, or do I have to "load" it, somehow, using a PC computer?

If you buy the preloaded MicroSD card just smack it in the unit and then load up some Caches and head out

Last question for now: is anyone using Mac computers? Might there be a source for help using a Garmin with a Mac.? (I know I can't upload maps to the Garmin with the Mac).

I dont - but I have heard some folks get some success uing Virtual PC environments on the MAC

Edited by S&G.Davison

Don't buy Virtual PC. I have VPC 7 and was unable to get it to recognize my GPS. It found the new hardware, but Mapsource wouldn't interact with it. I have VPC for other reasons, but had read previously that version 7 would not work for GPS purposes. If you already happen to own version 6, you may have better luck. Do some research before buying though. If you have an Intel Mac, you may have success running Windows under Parallels. No firsthand experience though.

If you're looking for native Mac software, there is some out there. Mac Simple GPS, GPS Babel, Mac Caching, and probably some others that I've forgotten. Do a search in this forum and you'll find a number of suggestions. For commercial software, there are two that I'm aware of. GPSy, and MacGPS Pro. I use the latter and am very pleased with it. You can upload waypoints, create routes (based on waypoints) save waypoints, tracks & routes. You can also buy TOPO maps by state, or for national parks. The maps are very nice, but can be used within the program only--not uploaded to the GPS. The maps are nice for overlaying tracks & waypoints, and for setting new waypoints from your computer.

I'm also waiting for Garmin to release Mapsource for Mac. With any luck, it will be before I have a *real* need to purchase City Navigator. Grr.

I am a MAC user and own the GPSMap 60csx. Because of the lack of Garmin/Mac support I have tested every software package I could find to see what best fits my needs. There are work-a-rounds that enable you to avoid a windows emulator if your goal is just to load pocket queries on your 60CSx, but if you want to use the full functionality of your new toy, you really need access to a Windows environment. This is what works for me.

On the new Intel iMac: I run Windows XP under Parallels. Within Parallels I loaded Mapsource, GSAK and the Garmin updater. All three applications recognize the GPSMAP 60CSx and interact just like with a normal Windows machine. I can upload maps, caches and updates with no problems. And Windows XP is faster on the iMac than it runs on my son's new Dell Dimension. (NOTE: As stated: this works with the 60CSx - but my wife's Garmin Quest is not recognized. I have loaded the drivers for her unit but the applications cannot find it. Garmin Support has no answer for this other than "I need to use a real Windows machine")

On the G4 Powerbook: I run Windows 2000 under VPC release 6. As stated above, release 7 of VPC does not work. I also run Win 2000 instead of XP because it is much faster. (Users of VPC know the term 'faster' when used in conjunction with VPC is a laughably relative term.) Within VPC I loaded Mapsource, GSAK and the Garmin updater. All three applications recognize the GPSMAP 60CSx and interact just like with a normal Windows machine. I can upload maps, caches and updates with no problems. (NOTE: As with the iMac - this configuration works with the 60CSx and not my wife's Quest.)

Until Garmin fulfills their promise to support the Mac platform (let see ... Nov. '06? No, make that Dec '06...no we meant to say April 07...we hope to support SOME of the units by summer '07.......) I need Windows to take advantage of all of the 60CSx capabilities.

this works with the 60CSx - but my wife's Garmin Quest is not recognized. I have loaded the drivers for her unit but the applications cannot find it. Garmin Support has no answer for this other than "I need to use a real Windows machine")

Quest's USB implemention is non-compliant enough that OS/X can't cope with it. Fixed made to the C series some time ago that made C series play nice with non-windows OSes weren't applied to Quest.

Garmin's engineering knows about this.

I'm unsure where Quest2 falls on this scale.