Frustrated newbie

LarsPaul

Why do you need the coordinates? The GPS will tell you the exact distance and direction to the cache. Trying to match the cache coordinates with the current GPS coordinates is an exercise in futility. Just let the GPS tell you how far you still need to go, in which direction. Match your heading (the direction you're traveling) to the bearing (the direction to the cache), and you'll be heading for the cache. The easy way is to just follow the arrow. Of course, the heading is only valid when you're moving, as will the arrow.

I found the 500 extremely aggravating at first. It sounds like you're not getting the geocaches output into the correct format for the unit. You should have the coordinate data and some info in the description field as well. As I don't use the software that came with the unit at all, I doubt my solution will be useful to you. But I'll describe it.

I download caches into GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) a software program that handles gpx. files. I use its export menu to export POIs in magellan eXplorist format. NOTE I export them as POI, and NOT geocaches, as I find no advantage to the geocache format, and once loaded as geocaches, they cannot be modified in the unit. I save them on my hard drive in a gps/explorist/POI file and finally connect the gps and transfer them to it (my machine sees it as "I" drive). Works okay, you must remember to transfer to the correct file on the GPS - I put everything on the card, not the internal memory. Internal memory is the default, but too limited, you can change the default to the card in active set up (? or maybe preferences).

By the way, you have to run saved tracks through GPS babel to get them in a form that most mapping software will understand. And you can just use GPS babel to convert gpx. to magellans upt. But you won't get as much data in the description field as you will with GSAK.

with my 400 explorist I go to site download cache.to wherever my documents etc.then use cache manager and send to gps it take about 30 secounds.if you are a premium member you can download the gpx. with hints etc,hope this helps. Mike I dont know what happened ? sorry for the double post.

Edited by Mandlair