Explorist 500 problem

monxla

Hi,

Help me please.

I buy an explorist 500 by 2ndhand.

Today my GPS is to be out of one's head,/went crazy/ show bad

elevation, speed values eg. 32400 meter, 209km/h and sometimes lost the satelite signals, and

the track log was bad.

Do you have any idea which was the problem with my GPS?

Hardware failure? Or software problem?

How can I testing my GPS?

The sw. version is 5.2.03 the basemap is Europe.

thank you,

Usually when something like that happens, powering off and back on fixes it.

If it is still acting strange, try clearing all memory. You will lose any data in internal memory doing this.

If still bad, try re-installing the firmware.

okay,

Have you got any experience how offen occurring this or any other failure effect on explorist 500?

Thank you.

It's never happened on my 500. We see occasional reports from all different makes of astoundingly rapid speed shifts to a point hundreds or thousands of miles away. It seems to be rare.

Luckly I had a camera within reach when I saw this.

74a349bd-b0db-4d2a-9fb7-6b5082d449b3.jpg

must be the fastest moterhome in the world LOL

Here is my GPS when went crazy. I make a photo from the display with my phone.

http://img.tar.hu/lkovari/size2/28026075.jpg

I haven't seen anything like that with my 500 yet or from my sportrak color. I do have an old Magellan 2000

that would have fits and read N/S fine but would say i was about 5 km west of my position. It would do that for a few weeks and then go back to normal.

I just had an odd occurrance with my Explorist 500. I logged a POI with an apparent altitude of 1229 meters. Pretty good trick since the actual altitude at the location is probably around 50 m. I had just come out from some heavy tree cover and I think the unit was trying to settle down. Didn't check lat and long accuracy. I have also had a few instances where I was able to walk ~100 km/hr for a couple of seconds. This happened when I had a poor fix for a couple of minutes. The high speed walk happened as the GPS was re-acquiring the signal. It seems that the Magellan exhibits position drift when there is a poor fix instead of holding to the last known-good reading. I suspect that this is what others have seen. It can really show when you "play" a 50x speeded up track log in MapSend.

Find-me