Europe Geocaching Trip

harrisale

you're trying to do all that in two weeks? !!!!

you could spend the entire time in london and not run out of caches or things to do.

if i were you i'd decide what time you're going to have in each country, what sort of caches you want to find then go to the specific forum.

not many of the uk cachers come onto this part of the forums but you'll be able to get loads of ideas and offers if you come to our forum.

have a good trip! :)

hey guys. im planning on going on a geocaching trip in europe, probably for about 2 weeks. what places should i hit up?

does anyone have a bookmark list of good european caches and/or locations?

thanx

Allow me to burst the bubble of your delusions:

It is a well-known fact that Europeans place caches for only one reason, to lure American tourists over there to seek them, and then when the hapless American tourists show up at the "cache site", the Europeans kidnap them and enslave them, forcing them to spend the remainder of their lives pressing olives into olive oil with their bare feet in human-powered olive presses at olive orchards, making extra virgin first press oil for eventual sale in fancy designer bottles to yuppies in Seattle. Sad but true! I read it in a tabloid, so I know it is true!

:D:huh:

:):P

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I cached in all the countries I visited when I went to Europe and I recall it took a lot of planning on my part mainly because I was not "paperless" at the time. This is something you should consider if you don't do it already. I found that the German caches are some of the best out there, but alas wenn Sie nicht lesen, oder spricht die Sprache, die Sie im Grunde geschraubt sind.

I found this site Free Translation to be helpful in translating the cache pages. In the upper right hand corner you will find a link for the web page translator. Just place to paste the url into it.

D

Edited by D@nim@l
well im not too sure exactly where. just a standard euro trip. london, paris, rome, venice, all the big cities
Here's my advice:

When I visit a new place, I concentrate on two things: Where I will be staying and what I want to see. On my trip to Europe, I first loaded up all the caches in the areas of my hotels. Next, I thought about the cities that I was visiting and loaded caches in the area of those sites.

For instance, if you are going to Rome for the first time, you'll obviously want to check out the Vatican and the Forum, so load up the caches in the area. There isn't very many caches in Venice, but that's OK because the streets are so narrow that it's hard to get good sat lock. Check out the Snail and the Death of Venice multi. I would recommend that you add St Etheldreda to your London list. I almost passed it by, but I'm glad that I didn't.

well im not too sure exactly where. just a standard euro trip. london, paris, rome, venice, all the big cities

If you're a Beatles fan don't miss seeing Abbey Road studios. There's even a web cam cache at the crosswalk pictured on the front of their Abbey Road album.

I was there last year and loved it.

Of course if you're not a Beatles fan, there are probably much cooler caches.

thanx for the replies.

well ive decided to extend it to at least a month, 2 weeks is way too short.

lol and yes i am a huge beatles fan so abbey road for sure.

i guess ill just use my 1 gb card in my gps and load up as many caches as possible.

Edited by harrisale

thanx for the replies.

well ive decided to extend it to at least a month, 2 weeks is way too short.

lol and yes i am a huge beatles fan so abbey road for sure.

i guess ill just use my 1 gb card in my gps and load up as many caches as possible.

Myhusband is military, and we relocated to Germany about 6 months ago. I have been working on downloading coordinates and translating the cache pages so we had some idea of what we were looking for. What I found was that within 20 miles (not kilometers) of my home coordinates there are about 650+ caches. Given that you are limited on time, you might want to do the "caches along a route" option so that you can not only see the sites, but pick up the caches closest to them. Part of the reason I suggest this is, since no one has mentioned it, at least in Germany and the Netherlands there are paved or really good dirt/gravel hiking/biking trails all over the place. I can bike all the way from my home in Germany to a small town in the Netherlands (about 1/2 hour by car) without ever really being on a road used by cars. If you can get a bike map for the areas you are most interested in, you could work your route along those and probably find that's where most of the caches are anyway.