Placing a cache: Any advice?

minsterley

1) Make sure it's somewhere interesting to go to - never place a cache for the sake of it.

2) When measuring the cordinates take several readings and average them and use these as your final co-ordinates.

3) Make sure the cache is waterproof!

That'll do for starters I'm sure many other people will chip in!

3) Make sure the cache is waterproof!

(But don't put it into a plastic bag :blink: )

4) Make sure you get any necessary permission.

5) Consider your local area: What's the balance of Trad/Micro/Puzzle caches like? Sometimes it's good to re-dress the balance so that there's a variety of caches, rather than too many of one type.

(To be continued, no doubt...)

MrsB :blink:

Put out a micro if it's a micro which is best suited to the location where you're putting it :lol: :lol:

I'd echo the comment about putting out a cache you'd enjoy doing yourself. Avoid putting anything sharp, toxic or otherwise dangerous in the cache and I hope you get good feedback on it.

One word of warning though - For some hiding can be almost as addictive as finding :)

:lol::D:D It must be FUN! :D:):)

At the risk of being hung by the whole geocaching community :) I think placing caches is MORE FUN than finding them! :lol:

In particular I'd echo The Bolas Heathens advice - it should be fun to do which will make it fun to place. Also, our 3 UK reviewers are brilliant - if you are unsure of any aspect of cache placement, give them a shout by asking in the Note to Reviewer box at the foot of the cache listing page.

FMC

:D:D:) It must be FUN! :):):)

At the risk of being hung by the whole geocaching community :) I think placing caches is MORE FUN than finding them! :lol:

In particular I'd echo The Bolas Heathens advice - it should be fun to do which will make it fun to place. Also, our 3 UK reviewers are brilliant - if you are unsure of any aspect of cache placement, give them a shout by asking in the Note to Reviewer box at the foot of the cache listing page.

FMC

Your welcome to contact us directly before you submit your cache :) either by PM or by email. And either of us will be happy to answer any query's or give advice [we don't bite honestly :lol: ]

Common mistakes that are made are

No Home Coordinates [does not have to be for your house, but a nearby road junction or shopping centre will do]

No Additional Waypoints for all stages, and final location for Multi/Puzzle caches

Cache location over approximately 50 miles from home and No maintenance plan[regular visits to the area for various reasons, or a local maintainer]

The majority are published straight away :D

1) Make sure it's somewhere interesting to go to - never place a cache for the sake of it.

Primary importance for us down south!

Caches pop up every week down here so if you want your cache to be found regularly then make it somewhere worthwhile. The other option of course is to make it so dastardly/hard/nasty etc... that it appeals to a different set of cachers! :laughing:

Jon