Should I Buy An Explorist 400?

GeoSteve

Okay, okay, what to do....

I've been reading through posts on here for days now and searching on the net for product reviews and I've seen lots of positives and lots of negatives in regards to the Magellan Ex 400. I was thinking of upgrading from my little Garmin Geko 201 to the Explorist. It has mapping. It has a SD card slot. It has USB, etc. But will I be any happier using it than the Geko? Who knows I guess. Only I could say. I've read lots of posts regarding Magellan support being a bit iffy and that kind of worries me. Maybe I should save up my cash and get a Garmin GPSMap 60cx.

Any ideas?

Steve.

I started out with the 400. Used it for a year and the only problems I have with it is some of the buttons have decided that only want to work after you press them a couple of times. The other problem was the orange screen. I found it very hard to read at times. I also have the 60csx and love it but it also has some drawbacks with its file system for caches. For the money I would suggest the magellan Ex 500. Everything the 400 has but with a color screen.

Since you are probably used to Garmin's icon-based menu system, I'd recommend going with the Venture Cx or Legend Cx. Those units also have PC connectivity and expandable memory. Their autorouting capability is better than that of the eXplorists as well.

If you do go the eXplorist route, purchase the eX500. I have a 400, and while maps are legible on the monochrome screen, I imagine they would be much more legible on a color screen. I suggest the eX500 over the 500LE if you can find it. The 500LE's battery life is terrible on AAAs. It does much better with the litium ion battery pack.

I suggest the eX500 over the 500LE if you can find it. The 500LE's battery life is terrible on AAAs. It does much better with the litium ion battery pack.

The LE give you the OPTION of using either AAA's OR a battery pack. It is simply a "clip" that fits into the original battery compartment to accomodate 3 AAA's. I'd choose having that as a back up if my battery pack dies.

I have used an Exp 400 for about 2 months now and it fits the bill for me. I prefer the mono screen because it is easier to see in bright sunlight than color screens I have used. Also, I visit cache locations all over the country, and it is really simple to file each set of caches (and detail maps for that matter) on the SD card. In my limited experience with Gekos, Garmins, Sportraks, and Explorists, the sportraks and explorists acquire and maintain satellite signals better in cluttered terrain. You will find others that will strongly disagree, of course.

With the lithium-ion battery fully charged, I can do 3 days of caching (3 hours at a time) and still have half a charge left.

Your preferences are unique, and that's why there are so many kinds of GPSrs. Play around with as many units as you can, and you will find one or two you are most comfortable with. I was able to buy a unit on Ebay, try it out, and then sell it for what I bought it for if it didn't meet my purpose. Just my 2 cents.

I've had terrible experiences with Magellan support. It seems that if your Magellan works, then great. But if you have difficulties, then your out of luck. I purchased a 500 in Sept, and they cannot fix it. Magellan is having difficulties sending me a label to return my 500 for a replacement. It seems that there are fewer problems with Garmins than Magellans. I'm contemplating purchasing a 60CSX myself. :anicute: