need help with old foretrex 201

We have not been geocaching for months now due to problems with our foretrex 201. We began having problems with it as soon as it was out of warranty (of course) :D . At that time, sometimes it would simply not turn on. Or, it would display random horizontal lines across the screen. But a few tries or half an hour would get it back in sync.

Now, the battery cannot hold any sort of charge. We think. It works just fine plugged in (a lot of good that does), but does not turn on at all when not plugged in.

This is our second Garmin. Our first (probably 7? years old now) is quite the clunker and was never very accurate for geocaching purposes. It couldn't get us anywhere close.

I looked into getting this one worked on, but there is an automatic $69 charge just to have it LOOKED at. The list price is $182. The list price on a 101 is $140 or so.

I am seriously considering just getting a 101. Or are all garmins junk? We are 0 for 2 for the most part.

What we use it for:

--geocaching

--hiking (record path) and then download said path to Topo!

--recording photo locations

--must be Mac compatible!

--would love to be able to download cache info from geocaching.com and not need to manually enter it. We might actually become members if we are able to take advantage of this feature.

What would YOU recommend????? Anyone out there with a MAc and a good recommendation? Must be less than $200!

Thanks,

the frustrated morrisfour

We have not been geocaching for months now due to problems with our foretrex 201. We began having problems with it as soon as it was out of warranty (of course) :laughing: . At that time, sometimes it would simply not turn on. Or, it would display random horizontal lines across the screen. But a few tries or half an hour would get it back in sync.

Now, the battery cannot hold any sort of charge. We think. It works just fine plugged in (a lot of good that does), but does not turn on at all when not plugged in.

This is our second Garmin. Our first (probably 7? years old now) is quite the clunker and was never very accurate for geocaching purposes. It couldn't get us anywhere close.

I looked into getting this one worked on, but there is an automatic $69 charge just to have it LOOKED at. The list price is $182. The list price on a 101 is $140 or so.

I am seriously considering just getting a 101. Or are all garmins junk? We are 0 for 2 for the most part.

From what I have been told the 101 has the same features as the 201 except the 101 will take AAA batteries, which to me is a big plus. I will not buy anything that I either can't replace the battery myself or have to pay half the price of the unit for a new battery. I am on my second 101 myself, the first one worked fine as far as the gps part of it but there was a problem with battery life. Garmin replaced it and the second one seems to be ok. As far as geocaching I am using an iFinder Hunt and am very happy with it. If you don't need the mapping software the price of the Hunt is around $200.00

I've got a Mac, and Foretrex 101 ( the latter for about 2.5 years now) and no problems. I use it with a number of different programs for upload/download and mapping.

I've also got an etrex legend, but it only gets used about 1/3 as much as the foretrex - mostly due to the wrist-worn convenience. I chose the 101 over the 201 for the simple fact I would be able to change batteries in the field, which has saved my bacon a few times.

PM me if you like for details, or search the forums. I've posted a number of times on the subject, as well as a few others.