Good places to hide

We live in a suburb area of a larger city. All of the cache's that we have found have been in city parks. Are there any other areas to look to hide a good cache? I don't want to hide them on private property. I hid one at our local neighborhood park and it was stolen the 1st day.

Thank you

As you already found out, small, neighborhood parks where geocachers might disturb the residents are generally poor choices. Most people don't want strangers wandering their neighborhoods and if they find out about the cache it may not last very long. BTW, you should disable your cache until you replace it, or archive it if you don't plan on replacing.

Cemeteries, historic sites and nature preserves are good choices if you can get permission. State parks and forests are perfect places. Rules on cache placement in these areas vary from a permit policy to none so check with the locals before placing a cache in a state park.

A quick look at the map of your area shows Skyline Park and Regency Park with no caches at all. That might mean they are not allowed, or that nobody ever bothered to put one there. Again check with your fellow locals.

Also there is some extensive river frontage that appears to be wooded not far from you. If any of that is public land it might be a good choice. I also see a large expanse of undeveloped, and uncached land just east of Rte 88 and north of Rte 412. I would check into that. If it's in public hands it may be a great place to hide a few caches.

Also if you have any "rails to trails" conversions in your area (abandoned RR tracks turned into hiking and bike trails) , they make excellent places for caches.

Look at maps of the area and sat photos (Google Earth is a great tool) and find interesting looking areas, then check into them. Also read newspapers for notice of any lands purchased by the town, county or state for preservation. Check local tourism websites and magazines for interesting places. If they are interesting enough to highlight for tourists they are probably interesting enough for a geocache.

Edited by briansnat

Anything unusually or out of the ordinary. A hidden glade. A forgotten waterfall. A cemetary out behind the mall. Our overlooked history good and bad. Parks, Industrial Slag zones. Homeless camps. An urban gathering point for deer. A building that makes you say "wow, I wish they would build more places like that".

All are great places for a cache within their limits (don't hide a cahe in the latrine of the homeless campsite) etc.

Not all are winners to all people, but some will like each type (I love industrial slag, abandoned areas, homeless camps, haunted area etc. plus the more obviouse locations).