Upgrade: Magellan 600 or Garmin 60c?

I'm thinking of upgrading from my Magellan Sportrax Pro (which I've been happy with) and am looking at both the Magellan 600 or the Garmin 60c. Sticking with the Magellan will allow me to continue to use the MapSend software I have (and save a few bucks on the way), but I'm interesteed in other's opinions. Especially anyone how has had experiwnnce with both units. Thanks!

I have a Magellan MariGold which is working fine. I just wanted to upgrade and decided to get a Garmin 60csx and Mapsource V8.

I went with the Garmin based on all the positive comments posted here.

I like the Garmin, tho there was a learning curve to follow.

I think the thing that sold me on the Garmin was the auto routings, new map, color, menu set up and customer support if needed.

So far, all the questions I had about using the Garmin have been answered here.

If you have the $$$ I would go Garmin.

Nick

We just upgraded from a Meridian Platinum (Magellan) to the eXplorist 600 and I LOVE IT!!!

I looked at the Garmin (and was out in a group that happened to have a 600and a Garmin 60csx) and the eXplorist guy always found the cache's first 9we did 31 that day, so it was not a fluke...

Not to knock Garmin, I liked their interface better, but I am not sorry I bought the 600 instead!

I'm thinking of upgrading from my Magellan Sportrax Pro (which I've been happy with) and am looking at both the Magellan 600 or the Garmin 60c. Sticking with the Magellan will allow me to continue to use the MapSend software I have (and save a few bucks on the way), but I'm interesteed in other's opinions. Especially anyone how has had experiwnnce with both units. Thanks!

Just doublechecking on the MapSend--the older versions worked on SporTraks, but not on Explorists. If you've got DirectRoute or Topo3D you're ok to upgrade.

You're probably clear on this already, but there have been a few notes of disappointment posted here from some who didn't realize their MapSend program wouldn't work on an Explorist.

Edited by embra

I just recently bought the Magellan eXplorist 600 and I couldnt have made a better choice. My buddy has a Garmin 60csx and mine picks up satellites much better than his! I have read about alot of people having trouble with this unit but if you just read the instructions you will easily upload maps and data to your explorist 600. If you have any direct questions please ask.

Are you talking about the 60C or 60CX?

If its the 60C I'd say go with the Magellan. If its the 60CX then it's hard to beat the Garmin. The unit is simply amazing. I get reception in my basement with 2 small windows covered with curtains. I ususally get a full lock before I can even get to the sat page and when I'm outdoors, I'm nearly always getting every available sat at full strength. I'm sitting at my kitchen table right now and getting 7 solid sats. My 60CS and Magellan Meridian Gold sitting are sitting right next to it. The 60CS has zero sats and the Magellan has one.

Of course if you are using the auto navigation software, Garmin's is quite a bit better than Magellan's