Explorist 210 & Magellan software; Can't Communicate

stillwaters

Got an Explorist 210 bundle, including MapSend for Christmas. From what I've seen, I'm really going to like this handheld, but, I am clueless about how to get the Map Send maps loaded. Most likely this will also be a problem for downloading waypoints. My problem is that Magellan Conversion Manager V1.08 does not find the Explorist. Based on other advice in the logs, I am now connecting the USB Cable in a downward fashion. I then connect the cable and power up the GPSr. This does allow for the USB device to be recognized. I have confirmed that it is set up as Drive K:. The GPSr is in File Transfer Mode. Still, when I try to download the maps, I am told the unit is not there.

I'm thinking the problem may be that I need to download the latest firmware V3.2.53, but I'm a little reluctant without the assurance that is what I need to do. Will this solve the recogition problem? Also, should I be downloading the US or the EU version. From what I've seen in other posts, it seems the EU version is pretty cool; but I'm not sure it is compatible with my handheld, which was bought in Oregon.

Updating the firmware will not help with your problem. (As an aside, the European firmware will work, just change units to imperial from metric.)

Which mapping software are you using? You may not need to mess with the conversion manager. Actually, I have never used Conversion Manager. I just copy the .imi (or is it .img?) file over to the GPSr using Windows Explorer. The mapping software should export the correct file type for the eXplorist based on the serial number entered into the software.

The fact that your eXplorist is showing up as a removable drive is good. This means you can at least transfer maps and POI files manually through Windows Explorer.