Ripping my hair out

Polgara

I have a Garmin GPS Map60C, which came with MapSource software trip and waypoint manager version 2.01. I got the Mapsource Topo for christmas with East, West, Alaska, and Hawaii version 3.02. Here is what I don't understand...

I uninstalled waypoint manager 2.01 out of the computer before loading the TOPO software. Then i put the first disk in, the install thing starts. It asks if my unit is compatible, and to check, i tried to skip this, but it won'tlet me, so i have to choose the compatibility step. I hook the unit up via USB, turn it on. The software says it doesn't recognize my unit. I check the settings in the GPS, its says garmin serial info not transferable via USB. I don't own the serial port connector, or if I do, i just don't know what it is.

So at this point, I am thinking this software is quickly earning a one way ticket back to the store.

Now i used to be able to transfer waypoints via the waypoint manager 2.01, so, i uninstalled the TOPO, and reinstalled waypoint manager. Then I reinstalled TOPO. Now it lets me transfer waypoints.

My next question is, i went to garmin website, and they have a patch, how do you decide if you should download the patch? After reading their website, it also looks like my software is older than dirt, since they have version 2.0-3.0 at the very end of their change history, with version 6.11.6 at the top. What is version 6.11.6? Is that on online update you download, or is that something you buy in the store?

I'm thinking i should just go back to EasyGPS.

Don't go back to the store yet. Insert your US Topo West CD first as I believe it contains the MapSource program. This will install the MapSource version found on the Topo CD set. You may see a screen saying a previous version was found, and this will update things. Then, download the latest version of 6.11.6 to be sure all is current. Your USB cable will work when you connect your 60C.

I had the same issue when I installed mapsource Canada, (I have a GPS Map 60C). It did not recognise my unit at first.

I went to the Garmin website and found that 6.11.6 was the latest, I checked the installed version and found it was version 3.something.

Do the update to the newest version and you will be fine.

Good luck.

jamie