NEWBIE!

hunter61073

I am new to this, I was in a local State Park this past Saturday afternoon. I was cleaning mt truck out and... (It was a complete mess by the way) a truck drove up, and an older gentelman got out and we started to chat. I noticed right away he had a GPS unit in his possession. We talked about the wildlife (Deer) in the woods and my recent experience with 3 of them.

He told me what he was setting out to do..... needless to say I love the outdoors, and I was instantly hooked into his conversation. He was a VERY informative person about his ventures searching for Caches. He told me of a few that I have walked right by. We also then started to talk about the night sky and My interests in Astronomy, (Which by the way he also is into). I Remember his name on here as Jack.....999, 988???? I could be wrong, and totally forgive me!!

I am a self employed Bricklayer, if he happens to read this, and I was in Kinnikinic Park in Roscoe,IL. 61073... (Do not know Lat-Long.. lol)

Enough rambling, I want to get into this! I would like to be pointed to or maybe someone on here can offer to sell me a nice used GPS unit for getting into this. I need to spend about 300.00 on a unit to do what I feel is adequate enough for me.

I want to start hunting for these gems!!!!!

Daniel

For $300 you can get a very good new unit, with the mapping software. For example you can get a Garmin eTrex Venture CX that has mapping, does autorouting (turn by turn driving directions), has a color display, expandible map memory and a USB PC connection for $150 with the current Garmin $50 rebate (good until 12/31). So:

Garmin Venture CX - $204 - $50 rebate = $154 (at Amazon.com)

Kingston 1 gig micro SD card - $22 (Amazon.com)

Garmin Mapsource City Navigator - $104 (Ebay)

Total - $280

And if you want to add topo maps for hunting, hiking and geocaching off the beaten path you can also add Garmin Mapsource Topo for another $74 (Wal-Mart)

welcome to geocaching, or what we call our addiction. $300 will get a new color gps which more than adequate for caching, hunting, fishing or driving. I highly recommend a visit to the Garmin or Magellan website. You might even consider this package. etrex legend $150 (target), Zire 22 $100 (most anywhere) Geocaching premium membership ($30).

He told me what he was setting out to do..... needless to say I love the outdoors, and I was instantly hooked into his conversation. He was a VERY informative person about his ventures searching for Caches. He told me of a few that I have walked right by. We also then started to talk about the night sky and My interests in Astronomy, (Which by the way he also is into). I Remember his name on here as Jack.....999, 988???? I could be wrong, and totally forgive me!!

I am a self employed Bricklayer, if he happens to read this, and I was in Kinnikinic Park in Roscoe,IL. 61073... (Do not know Lat-Long.. lol)

It looks like 'Kinnikinic Creek Nature Preserve' east of Roscoe IL has a few caches in it... But only two of them were logged on the 16th by jack99 <_< . Those caches were Kinnikinnic woods and Kinnikinnic Toboggan Run