small size geocach

computermaster4

how big is a small size, if it's not micro and not full, how big or small and a small one be...is it anything in between those two sizes?

I don't think there's really a standard set of measurements for container size; it's somewhat subjective, in my experience.

Sizes (in order from small to large) are, IIRC: nano, micro, small, regular, large.

Generally, a nano is very tiny (I've seen one about the size of a pencil eraser) with room for only a very small, tightly rolled log.

A micro is usually film can or keyholder size, with room for only a log or, sometimes, very small items.

A small can usually hold a log, a writing implement, and small or flat items; generally the container is something like an 8 or 16 oz tupperware or a flat lock'n'lock.

A regular holds a log, writing implement, and larger items; usually a regular-size ammo can, quart or larger size container, etc.

A large is just that - huge ammo cans, 5-gallon buckets, and the like.

However, I've found there's quite a bit of overlap between adjacent sizes - what one person considers "micro", another may consider "small", or what I might call "small", someone else might think is "regular" because it can hold something besides the log.

For example, I recently found a cache which is listed as "micro", but in fact is about 3 inches across and can easily accomodate some small trade items, geocoins, and the like. Me, I think I'd have called it a "small".

For another, I adopted a cache which was listed as regular, but was in fact a 16-oz powdered-drink container; I changed the listing to "small", because it couldn't hold much, and there was an ongoing issue with people bringing trade items too large to fit, and leaving them outside the container.

(I also subsquently exchanged the throwaway drink container for a slightly larger flat lock'n'lock.)

Lemme guess... you found an altoids-tin cache? I've seen those posted as both micros and small. Personally, I say it should be a micro, but a lot of people mark it as a small.

Are you asking me, or the OP? If the OP, he said he never found it.

If you're asking me, no, it wasn't an Altoids; it was round (ball-shaped, IOW), so it had a surprising amount of room in it.

I agree WRT Altoids tins, btw, although I understand why the fact that you CAN put small flat trade items in makes people think of them as non-micro. On a side note, I think they're not a very good choice of cache container in most cases, since waterproof they ain't, and rust they do.