WTB GPS for driving

chirprc

I bought a Magellan Roadmate from this forum less than a month ago. I brought it into work and played with it for a few days before putting it away (it's supposed to be a Christmas present for myself from my young child). I live in an area where these are not commonplace in vehicles because they aren't really needed, but I wanted one anyway because we do a lot of traveling and I figured it would be fun to have. Well, one of the people that I work with was pretty impressed as well. He is very interested in purchasing a mobile unit, but doesn't really want to spend the several hundred or more that they run new. Does anyone have one of these sitting around not getting much use? I don't think the brand is so important, more the condition and the price..... let me know and I'll pass it on to him to consider. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Really ought to take a look at the Lowrance iWay 100M unit. Although they're out of production, you can buy them brand new for less that $150 online. Great units - voice commands to turn - great software(MapCreat 6.3) - great support from Lowrance as well.

Id like to see where you can get them brand new for 150 online....I only found them for 400+, and it looks just like a normal gps, and i paid 284 for my eXplorist 500, Color screen and mapsend software, it has all the streets, just no turn by turn, i dont think turn by turn audible is worth the extra 100. But if someone can show me one for 150, ill buy one as fast as you can type the post.

Really ought to take a look at the Lowrance iWay 100M unit. Although they're out of production, you can buy them brand new for less that $150 online. Great units - voice commands to turn - great software(MapCreat 6.3) - great support from Lowrance as well.

Id like to see where you can get them brand new for 150 online....I only found them for 400+, and it looks just like a normal gps, and i paid 284 for my eXplorist 500, Color screen and mapsend software, it has all the streets, just no turn by turn, i dont think turn by turn audible is worth the extra 100. But if someone can show me one for 150, ill buy one as fast as you can type the post.

Check eBay, you usually see lots of vendors selling new ones for that price (often they only gave 1 or 2 left, but it's usually a "Buy it Now" auction so you don't have to worry about competing with others for it). I only saw one such vendor now, and it was closer to $200, but here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lowrance-iWay-100M-12-...VQQcmdZViewItem

I'm guessing you plugged it into Shopping.com. I see it for close to the price you gave on TigerGPS and Amazon.com when I do that. I saw similar things when I plugged it into Google with a couple of other vendors, though when you click on them it says "no longer available". I think with the former they just have some excess inventory and are hoping that during the Holiday season someone not in the know will think they are getting a "bargain" since it includes the mounting and maps unlike some other car GPSr's at that price. And with the latter this is what it went for in its hey-day in 2004 or so. I have definitely seen clearance sales for $200 or less other times of the year using engines like Shopping.com and I almost guarantee you if they have any left next month the price will be halved. In fact, Google showed this cached page from shopping.com with vendor shipdog.com selling it for about $169:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:6sMZU...=clnk&cd=10

I'd say wait until after New Year's and I almost assure you you will see the prices we describe. We got ours last August from something like the eBay auction above (NOT the same seller though) for $149 + shipping. Good luck!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa