Eulogy for a GPS

Sioneva

*sniffle* My Garmin 101, faithful little yellow plastic thingie, is going to that great geocache in the sky, slowly. The screen is beginning to show black lines, and has darkened so that it has become much harder to read. I blame the Nebraska winter! Which brings up the question - what do you do with your GPS when it has finally calculated it's last waypoint? Is there a graveyard for GPS's? Should I make it into a TB to travel the world? Or bury it respectfully in the backyard, in honor of it's services? Create a GPS Graveyard Cache to drop it in?

What would you do? *sob* And where am I going to get the money to buy another to support my addiction? I... I can feel my hands beginning to shake alreadyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

HELP! :blink::D:D:D:D:D

My old trusty Legend started to show its age.

The screen started to go dark on occasion, then come back, then dim again.

I got my new gpsr and put the old one in the glove box before it was completely gone.

I figure that way I had it for a backup if I needed it.

You may also want to check out this thread.

....Is there a graveyard for GPS's? Should I make it into a TB to travel the world? Or bury it respectfully in the backyard, in honor of it's services? Create a GPS Graveyard Cache to drop it in? ...

Cremate it and send its ashes into space. Let it orbit with the big satellites.

Sorry to hear about your Yellow. :laughing:

Keep on Caching! - Kewaneh

Which brings up the question - what do you do with your GPS when it has finally calculated it's last waypoint?

Does this unit have a data port? I'm not familiar with it. If it does, a unit that may not be useful in the field could serve as a "dumb puck" if you can get it to output positional data. Hook it to your laptop and with the appropriate software it could still serve to guide you on the road.

If that fails, I'd certainly try cleaning it. If you have a friend that is experienced with this type of stuff, ask them. The internals can be very delicate, so be very careful, you might just resurrect it!

EDIT: dang wordo.

Edited by CoyoteRed
Which brings up the question - what do you do with your GPS when it has finally calculated it's last waypoint?

Does this unit have a data port? I'm not familiar with it. If it does, a unit that may not be useful in the field could serve as a "dumb puck" if you can get it to output positional data. Hook it to your laptop and with the appropriate software it could still server to guide you on the road.

If that fails, I'd certainly try cleaning it. If you have a friend that is experienced with this type of stuff, ask them. The internals can be very delicate, so be very careful, you might just resurrect it!

It's a very basic unit. Not even a USB port for waypoint dl. But it's served me well, I hate to see it go. I'll try the cleaning option... and Cabela's bargain basement. And E-Bay.

Is it a geko 101?

I was going to suggest the you contact Garmin. They have great service and sometimes will replace it for free even if its out of warranty. If not, I would try to fix it myself or replace it rather than pay to have it repaired. The geko 101 just isn't worth enough to pay for repairs.

If you liked your geko, consider the 201 or 301. They both have a port so you can download waypoints. One of my units is a 301 and I really like it.

Does this unit have a data port? I'm not familiar with it. If it does, a unit that may not be useful in the field could serve as a "dumb puck" if you can get it to output positional data. Hook it to your laptop and with the appropriate software it could still server to guide you on the road.

That's my plan for my old Etrex. The off/on switch died and the display gets black lines sometimes. I am taking it out of its case. putting it in a project box case with room for a 3 volt power supply fed by 12 v from the car. Also putting in a small timer circuit to simulate the power on button when 12v is applied. I will just take the NEMA data stream from it so it will be used only with the laptop running Streets and Trips and no need to load waypoints or change any settings. Garmin wants $60 flatrate to repair an Etrex and I already have a GPS60, so no need to fix this one.