Benchmark in Japan

Fuzzywhip

While I was in Japan several weeks ago, I found this benchmark on the side of the road in Suzuka, Mie Prefecture (near Tsubaki Grand Shrine). Suzuka is just north of Ise and west of Nagoya across the bay.

TS8-BM49_Suzuka.JPG

Coords are:

N 34 - 57.264

E 136 - 27.140

Thought everyone would like to see something different.

PS: I saw a brass benchmark in Kyoto near Kiyomizu-Dera, but unfortunately it was getting dark and my camera wasn't available.

Fuzzywhip

Edited by Fuzzywhip

Kinda like this one I found last year in Japan:

yokohama2.jpg

I happened to spot it in Yokohama. Coordinates: N35°26.244, E139°37.453

Here's the translation, as best we can figure. Refer to the numbers on the above pic.

1 - "Urban City Renewal Basic Survey"

2 - Several possibles: "Reference Point" or literally "City Multiple Points"

I lean toward "Triangulation Station" myself, or maybe just "Waypoint". It is clearly a horizontal control station mark. Nothing hints at level or elevation at all.

3 - "Ministry of Land Infrastructure and Transport"

4 - "Nakaku" (which is a District, or Sub-City of Yokohama). These Districts are fairly independent. A large city in Japan is almost like a fully urbanized US County, and the District is like a Township. Or think of the District as a Borough, like the 5 Boroughs in New York City, but there are more and they are larger (in land and people).

5 - 5A and 5B together mean "Public" So it is like "Pub + lic" with the "+" being the center mark.

It's on-line at DustyJacket's website, 2nd from the bottom, now "preserved" by Buckner - (thanks!).

If you are interested, I'll see if I can get another translation of yours from some co-workers. Maybe Buckner can find a spot for it on his "agencies" project, if it turns out to be a geodetic mark. I'm betting it is 4.9 meters elevation above the local datum.

-- Klemmer

I found the top line. ??? means "distance mark" or "mile (or kilometer) post" in Japanese. There's an article about it at the Japanese Wikipedia here?? (although it's in Japanese - I can't translate, as my Japanese isn't nearly that good).

Edit: Oops, apparently the forum software doesn't like the kanji, so the link won't work. (Sigh.)

Edited by Shorelander

Although I have absolutely no expertise on surveying in Japan, I can confirm shorelander's translation. Could be 4.9 or 49, but I suspect 4.9 also. Can't really tell for sure what the number means until others in the area are found.

As for the Yokohama "Naka-ku" marker posted by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama, I can also confirm the translation.

I've spotted plenty of private/corporate survey disks which I ignore when I visit Japan. I always enjoy seeing the government/public ones, like the ones posted here. :laughing:

A native Japanese speaker friend confirmed Shorelander's translation of the top line. Good job! I've discussed benchmarks with my friend (in general) previously, and he helped with the translation of ours. This one seems to be something else, as noted above. It's 4.9 units (KM? M?) from something. Sort of surprising it doesn't have an identifying number (unless 4.9 is that?). When pressed a little, my friend also allowed as how in Japanese, "distance" could easily also mean elevation. Still a neat find!

While I was in Japan several weeks ago, I found this benchmark on the side of the road in Suzuka, Mie Prefecture (near Tsubaki Grand Shrine). Suzuka is just north of Ise and west of Nagoya across the bay.

TS8-BM49_Suzuka.JPG

Coords are:

N 34 - 57.264

E 136 - 27.140

Thought everyone would like to see something different.

PS: I saw a brass benchmark in Kyoto near Kiyomizu-Dera, but unfortunately it was getting dark and my camera wasn't available.

Fuzzywhip

Edited by Fuzzywhip