If money was no object......

kurchian

I am curious about what equipment is considered the "best".

Best receiver (under $1000)

Best map software

Best paperless solution

etc.

I realize that this subjuect is very subjective, but I am curious to learn how experienced cachers will respond.

Best receiver under $1000......

Garmin 60CSX or 76CSX

If money is no object you could get a high end Trimble or Magellan MobileMapper but I'm not sure how many waypoints these accurate units can hold for geocaching or how they communicate with common Geocaching software like GSAK and EasyGPS. And the accuracy in the field depends also on the accuracy of the unit who placed the cache in the first place.

I would chose the Garmin Csx series because they have a good rep for holding locks in bad environments.

Best map software....

Well if it is to be capable with your GPS, you can only get the manufactuers software.. if you own a Garmin, you get Garmin software etc....

I personally like the Delorme mapping for the PC. I own both Street Atlas and Topo 6.0. Topo 6.0 works like a gem with my Garmin Legend Cx... But you can't upload Delorme maps to a Garmin unit.

Best paperless solution....

High end PDA that has bluetooth and wi-fi capability but yet can slip into your pocket. Most like cachemate around here for the PDA software.

If size and battery life isn't a factor, a laptop with those capabilities..... but who wants to lug a laptop into the woods for a long hike to a cache???