60CSx tracks question

JSWilson64

I do lots of walking/bike riding in my neighborhood (or at least starting and stopping at the same place - my house). With my Legend, after a ride, I could save my track back to a certain time. As long as I did it after every ride, I usually wound up with a separate track for each ride.

With my 60CSx, I seem to have the option to save the entire tracklog, or a portion. Only, to save a portion it goes something like this: Zoom in, Zoom in, Zoom in, pan pan, zoom zoom, pan pan, zoom zoom zoom... Until I can find the beginning and ending points of that particular trip. Which, if lots of trips begin and end at the same place, can be tricky.

Am I missing something that'll make me smack my head and say "duh" ? Or is this the only way to deal with tracks on the 60CSx?

I do lots of walking/bike riding in my neighborhood (or at least starting and stopping at the same place - my house). With my Legend, after a ride, I could save my track back to a certain time. As long as I did it after every ride, I usually wound up with a separate track for each ride.

With my 60CSx, I seem to have the option to save the entire tracklog, or a portion. Only, to save a portion it goes something like this: Zoom in, Zoom in, Zoom in, pan pan, zoom zoom, pan pan, zoom zoom zoom... Until I can find the beginning and ending points of that particular trip. Which, if lots of trips begin and end at the same place, can be tricky.

Am I missing something that'll make me smack my head and say "duh" ? Or is this the only way to deal with tracks on the 60CSx?

The unit will save unlimited tracks, automatically, on the micro SD card and does not compress the number of points[as is done if you save the track within the unit.

Connect the unit on your return to the PC and save them in file.

Menu-Menu-Setup-Entr-Interface-Entr-USB Mass Storage-Entr

Save them to the PC, to create a copy before editting.

Select a day's track and it opens up in Garmin's free Mapsource software, showing numerous minor tracks within[each time you switch on/off or lose the 'fix'].

They can be split or joined together using the in-built 'tools'.

Save them as a new tracks or convert them to proper routes.

Edited by strumble

Well, I never gave that much thought before, but here is one easy way to do as you want. Simply turn your unit Off between each ride, or go to Menu/Use with GPS Off. This will break your "Active Log" into separate sections, and it will retain all the time, speed, elevation, etc data. When you "save" a tracklog it compresses it and drops all that data.

Thanks for the clarifications. So, if I don't save the track, it retains all the "extra" info besides location. But if I save it, that stuff is lost?

Correct. But as strumble said, you can have all your tracklogs saved on the microSD card as well. I don't have my unit in hand, but in the Track menu there's a choice to "Save to Mass data card" or something like that. Then follow strumble's steps to see and/or save locally.