PDA with USB connection?

1stwarrior95

I've been thinking about paperless caching and just seen a Palm III? over on the garage sale section.

The seller said it connected to a PC/laptop via a serial port connection.

Since my laptop has no serial port I'm wondering about a reasonably priced PDA that can be connected to a USB port.

Any suggestions?

PS, I don't know anything about PDA's... :P

I bought a sony clie on ebay for about 40 bucks.

USB, high res color screen (good for loading satellite pics of cache area. ;) )

otherwise you can buy a USB to serial adapter for under 20 bucks, and a palm III is under 10 bucks on ebay.

that must be a really old pda, {more than 5 years old} look around and get one with a usb connection

$30 bucks or so :P

Yea, I've spent the last few hours looking at PDA's on Ebay, (and other sites).

There must be hundreds of different Sony Clie models alone!

I also see most PDA's seem to use Memory Stick expandabe memory, but I saw a couple that accept SD type memory cards which brings up another question. My Garmin uses Micro SD memory cards and I have the SD to Micro SD adapter.

Could one device "write" to the card and then the other device "read" it?

Probably a dumb question, but I had to ask.

I also see most PDA's seem to use Memory Stick expandabe memory, but I saw a couple that accept SD type memory cards which brings up another question. My Garmin uses Micro SD memory cards and I have the SD to Micro SD adapter.

Could one device "write" to the card and then the other device "read" it?

Probably a dumb question, but I had to ask.

If you already have a Garmin that uses the Micro SD's and an adapter for them, I'd go with a PDA that uses the SD's (instead of a Sony that uses the Memory Sticks) just to stay with the same format.

To answer your question; yes, you can write to a card with one device and read it with another. I use an SD card reader in my PC to copy files -- maps and waypoints for Street Atlas Handheld, CacheMate documents, etc -- to the card, then move the files from the card to the Palm. It's a little faster that way than doing a hotsync. However, I don't own an "X" model Garmin that uses the Micro SD, so I don't know what files you can put on it. Nor do I know if there are any file types that you can copy from a PDA to a Garmin. If there are, your Micro SD's in the adapter will work fine for that.