60csx w/USB Streets and Trips help

spark363

I have a Garmin 60CSX and want it to interface with Streets and Trips. S&T is not recognizing my 60csx when connected (I only have the USB connector). It works fine in Mapsource. I loaded and reloaded all the USB driver from Garmin. I set the 60 to NMEA, but S&T still says there is no GPS connected. My Magellan connects fine (serial connection). Anyone have this problem and mediated this? I am sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and did not find it.

Edited by spark363

It's definitely a Frequently Asked Question - Sputnik57, if you're out there, please scribble this down.

To use software like S&T that only understands NMEA positioning information on a USB Garmin, you have to either use the serial port (thus requiring an extra cable and obviously not an option for units w/o serial ports) or use software like GPSGate or Garmin Spanner to get it to create peudo com ports that can be seen by your app.

I would just like to add that the two ways to connect a 60 series GPSr to a PC via serial are:

1. Use a USB to serial adapter. (Some people report problems with this method but I don't know the specifics or how to resolve it. I suspect it may be a driver issue, such as failing to install them.)
  2. Use a Garmin Serial or Serial/power connector that plugs into the large round hole in back of the GPSr.

Both of these solutions are rather pricey, in my view.

Edited to note you cannot transfer maps into any Garmin unit from any program other than MapSource products, regardless of the connection. You can only transfer data, such as waypoints, tracks and routes.

Edited by media601

I would just like to add that the two ways to connect a 60 series GPSr to a PC via serial are:

1. Use a USB to serial adapter. (Some people report problems with this method but I don't know the specifics or how to resolve it. I suspect it may be a driver issue, such as failing to install them.)
  2. Use a Garmin Serial or Serial/power connector that plugs into the large round hole in back of the GPSr.

Edited to note you cannot transfer maps into any Garmin unit from any program other than MapSource products, regardless of the connection. You can only transfer data, such as waypoints, tracks and routes.

My laptop only has USB, no serial. My home PC has a serial, but I'd rather find a USB solution for both. I don't want to send maps to my GPS, I want my position to show on the S&T map.

My laptop only has USB, no serial. My home PC has a serial, but I'd rather find a USB solution for both. I don't want to send maps to my GPS, I want my position to show on the S&T map.

As a first try, then, dowload Spanner. It's a free piece of Garmin software that opens up virtual com ports that give GPS data. You can find it on the garmin page under Products -> OEM -> GPS18 -> Updates & Dowloads.

As a first try, then, dowload Spanner. It's a free piece of Garmin software that opens up virtual com ports that give GPS data. You can find it on the garmin page under Products -> OEM -> GPS18 -> Updates & Dowloads.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but would this work with a Garmin Vista CX?