Puzzle Caches

OzGuff

How about an attribute (or something) that shows if the puzzle is solvable entirely in the field or if research (online or otherwise) is needed before turning the GPS on?

Has anyone searched for a cache only to find that the listed coordinates (and therefore the coordinates loaded into the GPS) are NOT for the cache?

How about an attribute (or something) that shows if the puzzle is solvable entirely in the field or if research (online or otherwise) is needed before turning the GPS on?

Has anyone searched for a cache only to find that the listed coordinates (and therefore the coordinates loaded into the GPS) are NOT for the cache?

The general deal with any cache which is not marked "Traditional" - whether it's multi, mystery, or whatever - is "Read The Fine Listing" before you set out. More or less by definition, the cache will not be at the listed coordinates if it's not a traditional.

As to whether the cache can be solved at home or not, well, that's up to the owner. I've solved numerous mystery caches from home where the owner didn't realise that it was possible, but that's because I combine physical laziness with the enjoyment of a challenge (sometimes I get punished with a 5-mile round trip to nowhere, but it keeps me honest).

Other are meant to be do-able at home, but sometimes part of the puzzle is too hard or ambiguous, so you end up filling in the blanks on the trail with "cacher's logic".

Using the European reviewers' interpretation of "Multi" and "Mystery", generally a Multi can be done on the trail and a Mystery will often be a puzzle (for example, a mathematical test, Sudoku, etc). I like to make mysteries that include equipment so you have to do something practical on the trail - the challenge here is to build "survivable" equipment!

Edited by sTeamTraen

The general deal with any cache which is not marked "Traditional" - whether it's multi, mystery, or whatever - is "Read The Fine Listing" before you set out. More or less by definition, the cache will not be at the listed coordinates if it's not a traditional.

I would add that it's probably a good idea to read the descriptions for any cache before you hunt for it, including traditionals. There's a lot of good info there that the owner sometimes wants you to know other than explaination of the real coordinates.

For instance, I've seen a lot of cache descriptions for traditionals include something like, "Don't cross the fence, the area beyond is private property", or "Do not look in the flower bed that is 80' from the posted coords, the park would not like to see these flowers trampled", or, "The combination for the lock on the container is 38-24-36".

If you don't read the description for whatever reason, you've only got yourself to blame if you can't find the cache, have to make a return trip, tresspass, get your log deleted for failure to comply with requirement etc.

Edited by Mushtang

Over here, the answer (standard interpretation of the guidelines) to your question is simple (sTeamTraen already pointed that way):

There already is a simple way to distinguish those types of caches: the cache type.

If the cache type is "Multicache", the cache has to be solvable in the field. If it's not solvable in the field with basic school knowledge, it's to be classified as "Mystery/Puzzle".

BalkanSabranje

I actually posted this suggestion on behalf of another local cacher who doesn't visit the forums frequently. She was talking about this idea so I said I would post it. I always read the cache description before adding it to my itinerary; if there is a puzzle solvable before leaving the comfort of my house, I want to get it done.

But aren't there puzzle caches that require online research as well as puzzle caches that can be solved entirely in the field? I have seen multi-caches that should, IMHO, have been listed as puzzle caches, and vice versa. The line between the two is sometimes faint. Maybe a more definitive description of the two types of caches is needed in the guidelines.

I will survive without such an attribute but thought the suggestion should be made. If the community doesn't think it worthwhile, so be it. (More importantly, if TPTB don't think it worthwhile, so be it.)

Thanks for the input!

We like to just drive randomly and go caching. I've downloaded all the caches within 60 miles into my GPSr We'll end up far away in some random place, it's fun.

it's been bad in the past though, as puzzle caches have bogus coordinates (why do they do this?) so you'll drive there, and there is no cache. that stinks.

Fortunately, I've now got a PDA, and I can get the info about most caches on the fly. So much better. You can even solve puzzle caches that don't require an image.

"The combination for the lock on the container is 38-24-36".

IMHO that cache wouldn't qualify as a traditional, but as a mystery/puzzle cache.

Not according to the definitions of the cache types found here.

The mystery/puzzle cache definition lists examples, and states specifically, "The only commonality of this cache type is that the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location." So in the case of a locked cache that IS at the listed coordinates, it would not be a mystery/puzzle at all.

It would be a Traditional.

And if you decided not to read the description before looking for it, which is something people (including me) sometimes do on purpose to add to the difficulty, you'd be out of luck when you got to this one. Hopefully you'd have a PDA or printout handy to check after you found the cache locked up tight.

it's been bad in the past though, as puzzle caches have bogus coordinates (why do they do this?) so you'll drive there, and there is no cache. that stinks.

I presume you mean "why do they have bogus coordinates instead of 00.00.000" and not "why don't mystery caches have the final coordinates to make the puzzle optional" :)

In which case, the answer is, so that you can see the cache is reasonably near to you.

I use GSAK to download coordinates to my GPSr and I have it set up so that the GCxxxx point of a mystery has a specific icon, so I don't swing by there hoping for a drive-in.