Garmin 12 Map won't conect to new Computer?

manuelcasi

I have a (yes I know it's old) Garmin 12 map. It conects with an old serial port conection but my new computer does not have a serial port? So I went and got a serial to usb cable but it is not finding the GPS with my mapsource softwear? I tried every com port they list and tried the auto find button nothing works? I know the usb port is good becuase my mp3 player works with it. Any Ideas what could be wrong? I know this should be in the GPS software section but no one answered there. :huh:

I use my 12MAP almost everyday and for caching. Old? Yup, but it still works very well and does what I need.

Check your settings on the 12MAP. I don't use Mapsource so don't know which they need but you probably need to set your 12MAP to either Garmin or NMEA settings.

Another thing you might try is the sequence in which you connect. I have to plug my Belkin USB/Serial adapter in first and let the computer recognize it. Then I turn on the GPS and let it locate sats. Then I connect my 12MAP to the Belkin. If I do it any other way then the computer won't find the GPS.

Well actually more people will try to help you here. BTW...did you try the drivers?

El Diablo

I did not even know it had drivers. But I checked the packaging and it was there so I loaded it and it has'nt worked yet. I was going to try the order of Wadcutter and see if that worked if not I am going to shut down reboot and try again.

Thanks for the help....... :huh:

Edited by manuelcasi

Once you get the drivers installed you need to look at your USB drive with the coversion installed and figure out which Port it is assigned. With my Magellan I had to change the port to one that the software/hardware was set up to recognize. These days just about everything is USB so if you have a new USB printer com port 1 or 2 should be open and I think that one of those will work.

If you do a search there is an older thread that will walk you through this step by step.

After you get this all done you may have to reboot to get the changes to take effect.

Edited by Night Stalker