DGPS on the 60C

TeamCypherX

I have been reading about DGPS and I was wondering what I need to take advantage of it on my GPSMAP 60C. The 60C can use WAAS, as well as the US Coast Guard DGPS service - but how do I set it up?

Also, why are the new X series units missing this feature. From what I've been reading about DGPS, it can improve the GPS signal down to 1cm (half an inch).

Robert

Plus I believe a subscription fee. No, it doesn't get you down to a half inch. It's corrections are much the same as WAAS. To get cm accuracy you need survey grade equipment which basically is used at optimal times only and applys the equivlant of more than one GPS unit and requires long averaging times. (All just my understanding).

Also with DGPS you are more limited on reception area, and the further from a station you are the less accurate the corrections will be. None of this is true with WAAS.

CurrentCoverage.jpg

Edited by EraSeek

Hi,

DGPS or the USCG Beacon system is about 15 years old and I thinnk it will be decommisioned in a couple of years because technology has marched right on by it. One of the problems with DGPS from the Cg is spatial decorrelation. This has a significant effect on measurments. DGPS was a sub-mmeter at best service if you were close to the beacon and a certain level of error was added on as you increased this distance. Thus when WAAS became operational it really killed the USCG Beacon service. The GPS Base stations have been rolled intot he nation wide CORS.

DV