Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Crystal Sound

Orphaned Bridges

7 posts in this topic

In my travels, I have come across a number of bridges that have been abandoned, usually when a highway was reconstructed. Usually, overpasses are removed, particularly ones in which the road is removed.

Anyone else think this would make a good category?

In my travels, I have come across a number of bridges that have been abandoned, usually when a highway was reconstructed. Usually, overpasses are removed, particularly ones in which the road is removed.

Anyone else think this would make a good category?

That is a great idea! Some of these bridges have historical plaques. Some have been converted to pedestrian walkways. Some have interesting structure. Etc., etc.

Hi

There are already some bridge categories. Would most if not all fit into these categories or other related historical categories?

Andrew

Hi

There are already some bridge categories. Would most if not all fit into these categories or other related historical categories?

Andrew

I have seen some that do not fit any bridge Cat. at this time. Two of them just sit out in the middle of a pasture. The roadway was moved to reduce a sharp curve and the old cement bridge was left behind. I don't think there is any WOW factor to either of them. But there may be others that are WOW.

Hi

Andrew

I have seen some that do not fit any bridge Cat. at this time. Two of them just sit out in the middle of a pasture. The roadway was moved to reduce a sharp curve and the old cement bridge was left behind. I don't think there is any WOW factor to either of them. But there may be others that are WOW.

You and I are thinking along the same lines. I'm sure a few will be less "wow" than others. I have a couple in mind that lie in the area of another waymark of mine. The bridges are a couple of old iron & wood bridges that are decaying in the middle of the woods. The closest road is several hundred yards away (and is dirt/gravel)

Having come across these (and some others) has had me wondering where others might be, and that it might make an interesting cat.

I would like to avoid duplicating existing categories, as many covered bridges would seemingly fall into this description. Railroad bridge & Rails-trails bridge cats also exist.

I've created the "Orphaned Bridges" group - enrollment is open:

http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.a...b3-def52626414b

Thanks all for your input!

Edited by Crystal Sound

You might want to move this to the new forums . . . it is a worthy idea!

You might want to move this to the new forums . . . it is a worthy idea!

Thanks!

Us (members of the Orphaned Bridges Group) have been discussing the ins/outs of this topic offline. We should have something ready, soon.

Any future discussion will be in the new forum.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1