Is this a good first geocache to place?

RobRcer

I have a cheap scredriver, and it has interchangeable bits. I am able to take the end cap off with the flat head bit it comes with. It is hollow inside, and about 3 inches deep. Would this be an ok cache? It can hold a small pencil, and paper, i am also thinking about putting an extra bit inside, incase somebody drops the first one. Thanks for your opinions!!

Anything that's "kinda waterproof" should be hidden in a place that's sheltered from the elements, if it's hidden at all. It's almost inevitable that the plastic bag will spring a leak due to repeated crumpling to fit it back into the container.

The poster children for "almost waterproof" containers are the rectangular style of altoids tin, and the 35mm film canister. I won't use either of these containers again unless the hiding spot is covered in some way to keep the rain and snow out.

"I plan on maybe hiding it a little ways into the woods. It is kinda waterproof, everything is gonna be in a plastic bag."

No, I wouldn't like this one. The rule of thumb is that if the area can hold a larger container then put one there. You are putting it in the woods, so I'm sure you could find a spot to hide a box and that would be better. GPSr reception is bad in the woods, so trying to pinpoint something so small would be hard to do. I hate micros in the woods. There are too many places where it could be. I use micros in town, public places, parks, etc. In the woods, go with a box. Easier to find, more fun. However, that does sound like a good cache container, I just don't like the placement of it. I have a fake rock, a fake plant, a walnut, and a golf ball, for example. But not hid in the woods.