retrieve TB from my own geocache?

MadBison

Hello

Is it considered bad form to retrieve a travelbug from my own GeoCache? I am new to Geocaching, and am still learning the rules.

If it is bad form, I will drop by and have a look at the TB, if it is OK, I will pick it up, record the find, and move it on.

I have never seen a TB yet.

Thanks

David

In my opinion, go ahead and look at it if you'd like to, but leave it put. I would hold off on retreiving a TB or geocoin from YOUR OWN cache.

You are very new at this, and have never found a TB. TBs are noted on the search pages because many people like finding them. Do a search, and notice all of them. Also, notice that most have a specific mission.

Like others, I sometimes search for a cache specifically because of the TB that is there. Lets say the mission is to visit as many baseball games as possible and you are going to a game tomorrow night. Or, the mission is to move this TB west, and you are traveling a couple 100 miles west this weekend. Or, maybe it just looks like an interesting TB or geocoin and you'd like to see it.

And let's not talk about the 2006 Jeep TBs!

So, it's possible that TBs will actually attract people to your cache. But, removing it might cause hard feelings.

Now, on the other hand, if this TB languishes in your cache, by all means move it on.

Well, that's my take on it.

Edited by michigansnorkeler

Hello

Is it considered bad form to retrieve a travelbug from my own GeoCache? I am new to Geocaching, and am still learning the rules.

If it is bad form, I will drop by and have a look at the TB, if it is OK, I will pick it up, record the find, and move it on.

I have never seen a TB yet.

Thanks

David

Hi MadBison,

it's called TRAVELbug, so it wants to travel. If you can help the TB to move or with its mission - DO IT!

If it sits in a cache for a while, or you can't help the TB, because you don't travel soon, or can't just help it with its mission, log: "discovered it". One of mine was in a cache for quite a while, so it is nice to know that it is still there.

Since you are, as you say, new to Geocaching, go there, check what it's mission is, and just log it as discovered. That doesn't do any harm and you get some practice with the whole TB logging thing, which confuses some people in the beginning. Everybody was excited about the first TB!

It's "just" a hobby some people call it sport, so no need to make more rules than the one stated by Groundspeak. Nowhere does it say in the guidelines that you can't go back to your own cache to log a TB! (Correct me if I'm wrong!)

GermanSailor

Edited by GermanSailor