GPS and excel

hunting101

National Geographic has a nice program that lets you import the data from the GPS unit and then export it to a txt file that you can open in Excel. It works on mac and PC, USB or serial.

Lists about $25.00 but you can find it for around $20. It is called GPS USA by National Geographic

Ed

I am trying to link MS Excel with my GPS pc card so I can be in an Excel document and record my LAT LON. Does anybody know of an Excel add-in that will work. I found a activex GPS program but it big $$$. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Hunting101

Nashville, TN :laughing:

I believe you can import .LOC of other GPS format files into excel IF you use the import wizard in excel and probably use "comma" separated data format....

I have had success at looking at loc files downloaded from Geocache.com with excel, the problem is you have to decipher many of the fields as they will not have any header titles.... Also you probably can not save files from excel program in format GPS can use....

Dale

Are you referring to live tracking or a saved track log?

I don't know about a live tracklog. But a saved one, read the below.

Download g7towin program.

Then download the track using that free program from your GPS.

Then save the file as a .csv file using that program.

Then open excel, open the .csv file and Excel will prompt you through the rest and viola!!!, there is your tracklog on Excel.

Delorme Topo USA also does this.

Thanks for all the help. I was wanting to do "real time " if possible. I found a program -GPS ToolKit- that will do it but they want almost $300.00 for it. I read a blog on GPSPassion.com com that someone had done it in the add-in in excel but the link is no longer good.

Thanks Again,

Hunting101

Nashville, TN

I am trying to link MS Excel with my GPS pc card so I can be in an Excel document and record my LAT LON. Does anybody know of an Excel add-in that will work. I found a activex GPS program but it big $$$. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Hunting101

Nashville, TN ;)

A GPS Bluetooth Receiver connected to a Notebook/Laptop Computer like a Holux can using suitable viewer software create a log file of NMEA data in comma delimited format which can be imported directly into excel and parsed so that each item appears in its own cell line by line.

This is a site which has published a spreadsheet for calculating distance between two Lat and Long references which might be of interest http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/datums/distance.xls (Its an Australian Government Site) http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ is another good site to visit with plenty of information as is

http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

Ant..