my gps is getting worse every day.

Bad_CRC

So I bought my garmin etrex legend about a month and a half ago.

at first, it wasn't too bad, about 30 feet off.

But lately, it seems that it's never even close. I visited caches that I found before, and while standing at the cache, it says I'm 70+ feet away on a clear day with lots of satellites found, and 20 feet accuracy.

I can understand that sometimes, but this is most every time, and I see so many others claiming that their GPSr gets them within feet every time.

is this normal? obviously some margin of error is, but it shouldn't be this bad. is there a way to "reset" the unit somehow?

I don't mind not finding caches so much, but when the reason I'm not finding them is because the GPS is putting me 100 feet away or more, it's very discouraging.

So I bought my garmin etrex legend about a month and a half ago.

at first, it wasn't too bad, about 30 feet off.

But lately, it seems that it's never even close. I visited caches that I found before, and while standing at the cache, it says I'm 70+ feet away on a clear day with lots of satellites found, and 20 feet accuracy.

That's intentional, and a firmware feature. It contains a randomizer, which adds a random small number to your actual location, and the random small number increases every month.

Actually every unit expires completely after 6 months.

People must buy an antirandomizer PIN (cheap: 30 Dollar every 6 months), which resets the randomizer to zero again.

I was having a problem similar to this with my Magellan early on in it's life. After some information from other users in this forum, I did several things that seemed to resolve my issues. First off, make sure that your GPSr is using the correct map dataum (WGS84 is one of the most common). This in combination with performing a "factory reset" resolved my problems for me. How you do the factory reset depends upon what make/model your GPSr is.

Early in the life of my Magellan, it was on while indoors, so it had a good amount of time that it was out of communications with the satellites. After the resets, I made it a point to reduce this time and that may have contributed to the accuracy of the unit too.

That's intentional, and a firmware feature. It contains a randomizer, which adds a random small number to your actual location, and the random small number increases every month.

Actually every unit expires completely after 6 months.

People must buy an antirandomizer PIN (cheap: 30 Dollar every 6 months), which resets the randomizer to zero again.

Yes, that's true, the PIN is: gullible and it expieres every April 1st!

:blink:

Edited by GermanSailor

I was having a problem similar to this with my Magellan early on in it's life. After some information from other users in this forum, I did several things that seemed to resolve my issues. First off, make sure that your GPSr is using the correct map dataum (WGS84 is one of the most common). This in combination with performing a "factory reset" resolved my problems for me. How you do the factory reset depends upon what make/model your GPSr is.

Early in the life of my Magellan, it was on while indoors, so it had a good amount of time that it was out of communications with the satellites. After the resets, I made it a point to reduce this time and that may have contributed to the accuracy of the unit too.

thanks for a helpful response.

That's kind of what I was wondering, as I've had it on indoors almost as much as outdoors.

guess I'll have to try to figure out how to do that factory reset.

guess I'll have to try to figure out how to do that factory reset.

Be advised that resetting the unit will erase all waypoints, tracks and routes as well as user-selected preferences. Be sure to save this data before resetting the unit! Uploaded maps will stay intact.

Press and hold the "PAGE" button and "Enter" on the click stick. While holding those buttons down, press and release the POWER button. The unit will power up asking if you want to release all user data. Select yes, and the unit will be reset.

Just another guess, but are the batteries well charged or new-ish? Do you have the battery type et to teh same type of battery you are using (ie alkaline, NiMH, etc)?

I have heard some people theorize that low batteries cause issues. I have not seen this with MY eTrex Legend though.

I have seen mine go through periods where the EPE does seem to widen a bit (out to about 70). Have you considered comparing the terrain you were frequently getting the 30' foot EPE with the terrain you've been getting 70'? Are you in steeper valleys, gorges or noticeably heavier tree cover?

Edited by New England n00b