Reception problems after upgrading to CN8

evelbug

This doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll throw it out here. I have a Quest2. I just recently got my CN8 upgrade disk and upgraded the software in my GPS. Ever since I did that, I can't get reception in my truck to save my life. The mount is in the same place, and nothing else has changed. I used to lock on in about a minute and get <20' accuracy no problem. Now, (on a sunny day) it can take 10-20 mins to find a satellite, I'll get on the average 50-60' accuracy, and I'll loose reception for no apparent reason.

Anyone have any ideas on this, or should I call garmin?

I'm not familiar with that particular unit, but it shouldn't do it. I have a 60CSx and loaded a gig onto it of cn8 and nothing bad happened to it. It is possible that during the data transfer it did something to the system that is causing it, as an indirect result of the maps.

I'd call garmin, they usually have GREAT support, even for units out of warrenty.

I think the problem resolved itself. If I had to guess, the sattelite data got messed up and I needed to let the almanac refresh. Garmin sugested reseting the data

I would like for you to try a few resets to help with the satellites.

With the unit turned off, press and hold the Zoom Out button and the Power button for five seconds. This will eliminate any corrupt satellite data.

Take the gps unit outside to see if it will acquire the satellites.

You can try a master reset if you are all right losing all of your saved data. With the gps unit turned off, press and hold the Page button, the OK button, and the Power button. Then, take the Quest unit outside for at least fifteen minutes to acquire the satellites.

I'll try those if the problem continues. I also moved the mount to a clearer view of the windshield for good measure. I may look into geting an external antenna for my truck so I can actually keep the gps somewhere I can reach it. (The F150 has a very large dashboard)