Help with caches along a route

Jamie Z

I feel kind of silly asking this, since there has been so much talk about this seemingly great feature. I've read a number of threads about people having trouble with the feature, but nobody seems to have the same simple problem that I have.

When I have uploaded a GPX or KML file to the Caches Along a Route page, the upload seems to go fine, then I get a screen that looks like it's supposed to display a list of routes for me to select, but invariably that list is completely empty.

I've tried a number of times, using different methods.

The most recent attempt, I downloaded a GPX file online with a list of trail markers. I opened the GPX in Google Earth, and it shows all the markers in the right places. Then I uploaded the GPX file to the Caches Along a Route feature in order to check for caches along that trail. As I said before, I perform the upload, and then am presented with a screen to select a route, but the box is empty.

According to the website where I got the GPX file, it was created using ExpertGPX. Knowing there might be some incompatibilities, I then went back to Google Earth and saved the file as a KML file. Then I tried to upload the KML file to the Caches Along a Route screen. Again, blank box where my route should be listed.

Where am I going wrong?

Despite all my forum reading and Geocaching dot com experience, this one has me stumped.

Jamie

[edit] Good grief. I can't even post in the right forum. Can this be moved to the geocaching website forum where it probably belongs? Thanks, sorry.

Edited by Jamie Z

I've created several queries to get caches along a route and I always have good results. I use Garmin GPSrs and I create a Route, or draw a Track, in MapSource and save it as a .gpx file. (I just tried to go thru loading one but the site seems to be down). Once I upload my route it then lets me request a PQ of all the caches along my route that fit my parameters, such as distance from route, type of cache, etc. If I understand what you tried you used points (waypoints) vs a "route". Try using a route (or track). Good luck.

I'll be going from CT to VA, then DE in 2 days.. I've downloaded caches in the 2 areas I'll be staying, but would like to experiment with caches along a route.

Do I go to map source and establish a route by just clicking points along my route? Then what do I do with it..

Or, can someone point me to a url or topic here that discusses it. I don't want to keep coming back with little hangups that I always seem to run into.... thank you for any direction.....

Also, I did one pq on VA and it came back right away.... my DE pq did not process. Am I only allowed on pq per day?

I've created several queries to get caches along a route and I always have good results. I use Garmin GPSrs and I create a Route, or draw a Track, in MapSource and save it as a .gpx file. (I just tried to go thru loading one but the site seems to be down). Once I upload my route it then lets me request a PQ of all the caches along my route that fit my parameters, such as distance from route, type of cache, etc. If I understand what you tried you used points (waypoints) vs a "route". Try using a route (or track). Good luck.

Edited by sock-it-2-me

Hi sock-it-2-me. If you go to the GC.com page for Caches Along a Route and scroll down a bit you'll find a step-by-step method. It explains it quite well there.

What I do is to create either a Route, or use the Tools/Track Draw, to create a Track in MapSource, and save as a .gpx file. You upload this .gpx file and follow the directions to configure your Caches Along a Route PQ, just like you do for a regular PQ. It works great.

Thank you for the reply... some of what you say means not-too-much to me (the terms, saving as, etc.). But, I will head over to the url and start to learn.... one step at at time...

Hi sock-it-2-me. If you go to the GC.com page for Caches Along a Route and scroll down a bit you'll find a step-by-step method. It explains it quite well there.

What I do is to create either a Route, or use the Tools/Track Draw, to create a Track in MapSource, and save as a .gpx file. You upload this .gpx file and follow the directions to configure your Caches Along a Route PQ, just like you do for a regular PQ. It works great.

It took me a while to fumble through it, but I seem to have made it work. Am waiting for the pq to run, but everything looks good.... my route is longer than 500 miles, and I hit my 250 limit within 2 miles of the route, so will do it over and break the route into 2 sections, and cut it down to one mile so I stay under my limit... 250 is way more than I want to try to keep track of....

The link you provided was great, will be using it a lot in the future... thank you. Sock-it....

That looks good, thank you...

I did get the pq back, so will try loading it.

QUESTION. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE .GPX FILE AND THE WPTS.GPX FILE .... that I get after I unzip the pq?

I assume I use the large file, but is the small wpts.gpx file useful?... I've done some googling on the extensions, but found not clear answer...

Here is a tutorial from Brandon's Geocaching Blog, Geocacheville, that some may find useful (make sure you view maximized, full page):

Caches Along a Route

Edited by sock-it-2-me

QUESTION. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE .GPX FILE AND THE WPTS.GPX FILE .... that I get after I unzip the pq?

The smaller wpts.gpx file contains the "Additional Waypoints", or "daughter" waypoints, such as suggested parking locations, parts of a multi, etc that are associated with the cache waypoints.

That looks good, thank you...

I did get the pq back, so will try loading it.

I assume I use the large file, but is the small wpts.gpx file useful?... I've done some googling on the extensions, but found not clear answer...

The wpts.gpx file is a set of "extra waypoints" for the caches in the main file. They mark locations like parking areas, trailheads, etc., that are mentioned on each cache's Web page. You can transfer them to your GPSr along with the geocache waypoints in the main file, and use them as needed.

--Larry

I have been having a somewhat similar problem myself. After saving my route in Google Earth and uploading it to the site, I run the Pocket Query. I click on the preview results page which indicates there are 32 caches along my route. However, when I download the query from my e-mail and open it with Google Earth, none of the caches are displayed on the map or in the waypoints folder on the left-hand side. Does anybody know what's going on here?

.... none of the caches are displayed on the map or in the waypoints folder on the left-hand side. Does anybody know what's going on here?

You might check this. In the upper part of the GE screen there is a time and date slider. Grab it and pull it to the far right extent. This limits caches that will display to the specified limits there. Oh, the current version is 4.3.7191.6508 (beta). Give this a try.

.... none of the caches are displayed on the map or in the waypoints folder on the left-hand side. Does anybody know what's going on here?

You might check this. In the upper part of the GE screen there is a time and date slider. Grab it and pull it to the far right extent. This limits caches that will display to the specified limits there. Oh, the current version is 4.3.7191.6508 (beta). Give this a try.

Although I have had this problem before, the time slider is turned off this time. The waypoints folder under the query that I opened is completely empty, but the online results of the query yielded 32 caches. This only happens with the query's from "Find Caches Along A Route" as opposed to a regular Pocket Query. I did download a regular query (.gpx) and all of the caches showed up fine. So I'm not sure if the downloaded GPX file actually contains cache information, or if it is a problem with GE opening and displaying the file.

Although I have had this problem before, the time slider is turned off this time. The waypoints folder under the query that I opened is completely empty, but the online results of the query yielded 32 caches. This only happens with the query's from "Find Caches Along A Route" as opposed to a regular Pocket Query. I did download a regular query (.gpx) and all of the caches showed up fine. So I'm not sure if the downloaded GPX file actually contains cache information, or if it is a problem with GE opening and displaying the file.

There's currently an issue with the code sent to you for a route GPX. It contains an issue preventing some applications from loading the file properly.

You can edit the file manually to make the simple fix. See the steps at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3450988 as part of the thread at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=192041