Waypoints and my Garmin

Chekika

Hi: I'm a complete newbie and I'm a bit lost. Trying to learn to use my new Garmin 76CSx and also new to geocaching. What is the best program for transferring waypoints to my iPaq when I'm traveling, and is there a cable I can use to get them into my GPS without having to enter them manually? Thanks for any and all help.

Don't know ipaq; GPXSonar for PocketPC, and Cachemate for either PocketPC or Palm. There are others, but these are the most popular.

I'm pretty sure the 76cs uses an USB cable. The GPS side will be the funky rectangular type used by most digital cameras.

The USB cable came with my 76scx. Likwe to know myself how to add cordinates other then by hand

What I've found most useful:

GSAK - Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (free with nag screens, about $20 without), found at http://gsak.net/ - and a Premium Membership ($3 a month).

Install GSAK on your computer.

Use your GPS to find the coordinates of your home. Run a PQ centered around your home, open file in GSAK, save database, upload to GPS via the computer cable that came with it.

You can also download individual cache listings and add them to your database.

What I've found most useful:

GSAK - Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (free with nag screens, about $20 without), found at http://gsak.net/ - and a Premium Membership ($3 a month).

Install GSAK on your computer.

Use your GPS to find the coordinates of your home. Run a PQ centered around your home, open file in GSAK, save database, upload to GPS via the computer cable that came with it.

You can also download individual cache listings and add them to your database.

Thanks. I did this and now have a set of cache locations near my home in the GPS. It transferred them seamlessly. Still have a lot to learn about GPS, etc. but am excited to be getting into this. Now, all I have to do is find a cache. Wish it would stop raining. :D

Thanks. I did this and now have a set of cache locations near my home in the GPS. It transferred them seamlessly. Still have a lot to learn about GPS, etc. but am excited to be getting into this. Now, all I have to do is find a cache. Wish it would stop raining. :D

Heh. Are you on the East Coast? It's pouring cold rain here in MD today, although we had a nice weekend.

You can always play around with GSAK a bit; for example, by clicking on column headings, you can sort not only by distance from your home, but by bearing (useful if you want to do several caches in an area), alphabetically, type of cache, and so forth.