GPSMap60CSx - set geocache?

roamins120

I just got a GPSmap 60CSx and the ability to pick up the birds is unbelievable! One of the reasons I upgraded from my old eTrex was the special "Geocaching mode". However, the doc basically says to set up a waypoint with the Geocache icon and it "shows up" in the find Geocache page. There must be some other magic needed, as that does not work for me. I even created a waypoint in MapSource, gave it the Geocache symbol assigned it to a category named Geocache and downloaded it. The waypoints all show up in the Find Waypoints list, but my special nifty Geocache page is still empty.

Has anyone figured this out?????

Thanks!

How are you getting the waypoints into your GPsr? Are your using EasyGPS, GSAK, or manually entering them?

I have tried three different ways. 1) Use MapSource to create the waypoint and then download them to the GPS. 2) Enter a waypoint using the GPS itself assigning it the GeoCache icon at creation time, 3) enter a normal waypoint and then change the icon to the Geocache None of these worked...

How are you getting the waypoints into your GPsr? Are your using EasyGPS, GSAK, or manually entering them?

I have tried three different ways. 1) Use MapSource to create the waypoint and then download them to the GPS. 2) Enter a waypoint using the GPS itself assigning it the GeoCache icon at creation time, 3) enter a normal waypoint and then change the icon to the Geocache None of these worked...

UEOD - I was saving these with the treasure chest OPEN icon, not the CLOSED icon. So, they did not have the proper one. Once I change the icon to the CLOSED icon, they magically appear! Sorry for the noise, but this may help someone else...

UEOD - I was saving these with the treasure chest OPEN icon, not the CLOSED icon. So, they did not have the proper one. Once I change the icon to the CLOSED icon, they magically appear! Sorry for the noise, but this may help someone else...

There is an option in the geocache menu to view "Found Geocaches" or "Unfound Geocaches". So, after a lot of geocaching you can switch to view all your "Found Geocaches" (i.e. chest OPEN) in order to do your online logging. It is easy to switch back-and-forth between the two views. Of course, viewing the "Waypoints" list instead of the Geocache list will show both types, as well as all other Waypoint types

Oh yeah - and get GSAK onto your PC. It's free with an option to pay - you'll end up wanting to pay!

Edited by pdxmarathonman
I just got a GPSmap 60CSx and the ability to pick up the birds is unbelievable!

Excuse my ignorance but when you say "the ability to pick up the birds is unbelievable!" what do you mean? is it satellites?

yes, I get 10 sats just sitting in my office (indoors) where previously my eTrex Vista needed a "clear (very clear) view of the sky".