Letterbox Hybrids

Harriet the Spy

I have a couple of questions about letterbox hybrids and I was hoping somebody might point me in the right direction.

Do you use the coordinates as the primary way to find the cache, or do you use clues like in letterboxing?

Is it a general practice that you crosspublish at letterboxing.org?

Are cachers required to bring their own stamp and stamp the log book to earn their smilie?

Edited by Harriet the Spy

Do you use the coordinates as the primary way to find the cache, or do you use clues like in letterboxing?

Coordinates only: Fine.

A mix of GPS use and letterboxing-style clues: Fine.

Letterboxing clues only; no GPS use required except the coords take you to the parking lot: No; does not meet the listing guidelines for a Letterbox Hybrid.

Is it a general practice that you crosspublish at letterboxing.org?

The answer varies regionally. The important thing is, it is not REQUIRED for a letterbox hybrid geocache to be cross-listed on a letterboxing site.

Are cachers required to bring their own stamp and stamp th log book to earn their smilie?

It should be welcomed and encouraged. But, it is not a requirement in order to have the cache listed as a letterbox hybrid. Of course, an individual owner can establish a stamp requirement as an ALR (Additional Logging Requirement). Such a cache owner could expect criticism if they deleted an online log due to the lack of a stamp in the logbook. Not every geocacher owns a stamp.

I am happy to help. Here are two more tips, and I bet others will have more.

1. Geocachers unfamiliar with letterboxing often mistake the rubber stamp as a trade item. At a minimum, put a note on your cache page AND in the cache, explaining that this cache is different because of the stamp, and that the stamp stays with the cache. To be even safer, attach the stamp to the cache container with a string, light chain, etc.

2. Read all of the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines, but especially the Guidelines for Letterbox Hybrid Caches. Most of my answers come straight from those Guidelines.

Have fun hiding your cache!

This is the most concice tutorial on letterbox hybrids I've seen. Thank you! I've made mistakes in the past trying to get a letterbox hybrid published that was, in fact, a straight letterbox while misinterpreting the guidelines even after having read them. Even reading other threads on GC, I've come off as confused, but hopefully I've got it now. The kiddos (especially the little ones) love to be involved and it's good for their reasoning and "identifying surroundings" skills.

Let me ask one more Q to clarify...

If I were to make a multi where the first stage required a decent hike into the woods and the secons stage offered copies of sheets offering letterbox directions, would that qualify?

Alternatively, if a cache gave you coords to a first stage and the first container offered compass directions to an offset (a substantial offset) how would that qualify as a cache?

Seperately but similarly, I've adopted a "traditional" cache that has an offset. Should this still be listed as a "traditional"? I've gotten e-mails from paperless cachers asking why they're in an open field when the cache page has an offset that they hadn't read the page before (I was originally one of those cachers). Should I re-list the cache and replant it in a similar fashion in the area?

Lots of questions as to how cache qualifications blend...mostly in concern for those that filter out puzzles and multis and end up wasting their time since they haven't read the cache page. Should traditionals be just that...if so, how do we qualify the "grey area" caches in respect to the people who seqarch for them?

This is the most concice tutorial on letterbox hybrids I've seen. Thank you! I've made mistakes in the past trying to get a letterbox hybrid published that was, in fact, a straight letterbox while misinterpreting the guidelines even after having read them. Even reading other threads on GC, I've come off as confused, but hopefully I've got it now. The kiddos (especially the little ones) love to be involved and it's good for their reasoning and "identifying surroundings" skills.

Let me ask one more Q to clarify...

I'm sorry, but you asked three questions. Return to the oracle when you've learned to count. :laughing:

Seriously... I am glad you are finding this thread helpful. And hopefully you know that I like out-of-the-ordinary caches the best (multi's, offsets, LB hybrids... just not puzzles because I'm stupid). I look forward to hunting some more of your caches. OK, on to your questions so that the future caches are cool and will sail through the review process...

If I were to make a multi where the first stage required a decent hike into the woods and the secons stage offered copies of sheets offering letterbox directions, would that qualify?

Yes, that's fine, because GPS use would be needed in order to find the box containing the directions. Gosh, sorta sounds like a certain multicache in Sewickley Heights Park, doesn't it?

Alternatively, if a cache gave you coords to a first stage and the first container offered compass directions to an offset (a substantial offset) how would that qualify as a cache?

A simple offset cache like this one is properly classified as a multicache. It says so right in the listing guidelines. But that far down in the guidelines, most folks have long since fallen asleep at the keyboard.

Seperately but similarly, I've adopted a "traditional" cache that has an offset. Should this still be listed as a "traditional"? I've gotten e-mails from paperless cachers asking why they're in an open field when the cache page has an offset that they hadn't read the page before (I was originally one of those cachers). Should I re-list the cache and replant it in a similar fashion in the area?

Lots of questions as to how cache qualifications blend...mostly in concern for those that filter out puzzles and multis and end up wasting their time since they haven't read the cache page. Should traditionals be just that...if so, how do we qualify the "grey area" caches in respect to the people who seqarch for them?

I know the cache of which you speak. I just missed being the FTF on that cache back in March 2003. It was an offset multicache then, and it's an offset multicache now. If you peek again at the cache page, you will see that it has been visited by the cache icon fairy. I wonder how that happened? ;)

Seriously, back then before paperless caching was so popular and most everyone read *every* cache page, reviewers didn't pay attention to "minor details" like this. They relied on cache hiders to select the correct type. It didn't really matter. Now it does. So, now we have many more reviewers and they look at the details very closely.

My mistake...it's a multi. Must have missed that. That certainly lessens my cache maintenence stress. Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

Furthermore, I love the LB hybrids... very easy to convince the older Girls Scouts that geocaching is a good idea especially when you man (woman;) a few girls with the GPS and man (woman;) the others with the clues. It gives everyone an oppertunity in a group setting.

I appreciate the insight and all else. I'm motivated again. Thanks.