What does TNLN mean?

rustybones49801

OK, I get it. hehehe Muggles.... that's comical :rolleyes: OK, what is the deal with geocoins then? If they are so sought after, why are they tracked? Wouldn't the person.... er .. geocacher just keep it?

Yes... thats a problem.

The general rule for Trackable Coins is:

If the Coin has been activated by someone else it is a Travel Bug and needs to be moved along as such.

If the coin has NOT been activated, it is a trade item... to be traded for fairly (Leave something if equal or greater value).

OK then, what identifies an activated coin from an unactivated one? Can this be identified as such in the field?

People often will include a note or a tag if its been activated. Outside that, the only way to find out is to check the code on this website. Go to the travel bug page and key in the code. If its activated you'll see the page for the coin. If its not activated it will tell you.

OK, I get it. hehehe Muggles.... that's comical :anicute: OK, what is the deal with geocoins then? If they are so sought after, why are they tracked? Wouldn't the person.... er .. geocacher just keep it?

LOL, Thats the conundrum that is geocoins :anicute:

One of the things people are usually told when they ask about setting up a travel bug is to not use anything valuable or that can't be replaced since its possiable the TB will go missing at some point. Geocoins on the other hand are often designed to be shiney and pretty, and often made in limited batches.

As for why? well I guess whoever had the coin made thought it was worth the extra cost. Perhaps they thought the coin would appeal to more buyers if it was trackable at gc.com and probably with its own icon. Some people buy (new) coins not to release as travelers but to keep for themselves and/or to display to others at events. (note I said they buy them, not steal someone else's travelers which is what it is when someone take a traveler and keeps it)

But if you want to know more about coins, you might want to just jump over to the geocoin forum.

OK, I get it now. The joy of possession by legitimate means. One last question, how can I look up the most recent cache in my area so I can try for a FTF? And is there a way to look up people in my area? Oops, two questions....... B)

You might try watching This page... checking it several times a day.

If you upgraded your account to 'premium' you could setup an instant notification, so that you'll be emailed when new caches are listed (in an area you specify). Which is good if checking email is easier than watching the website B), but then you have to risk that the emails will make it threw .

Look up people as in 'who are the geocachers near X town'? No.

If you want to figure out whos near you just check out the profiles of the people who placed the nearest caches, if they have many hides and finds there often, chances are they live 'nearby'. You could also try attending (or even hosting) any events that are near you.

Edited by welch

OK, I get it now. The joy of possession by legitimate means. One last question, how can I look up the most recent cache in my area so I can try for a FTF? And is there a way to look up people in my area? Oops, two questions....... B)

You might try watching This page... checking it several times a day.

If you upgraded your account to 'premium' you could setup an instant notification, so that you'll be emailed when new caches are listed (in an area you specify). Which is good if checking email is easier than watching the website B), but then you have to risk that the emails will make it threw .

Look up people as in 'who are the geocachers near X town'? No.

If you want to figure out whos near you just check out the profiles of the people who placed the nearest caches, if they have many hides and finds there often, chances are they live 'nearby'. You could also try attending (or even hosting) any events that are near you.

Before I pay for a membership, can new caches be set by zip code location? I live in the Upper Penninsula Michigan and the puldown tab didn't have ANY cities from up here to use as close coords. I live in Iron Mountain 49801..... hence my moniker....lol

People often will include a note or a tag if its been activated.

So far, that hasn't been my experience (which is admittedly limited at this point). The activated trackable Geocoins I've found, all of which were brand new, have been loose in the caches, no note at all, with the exception of someone putting both her coin and a friend's identical coin in ONE little plastic sleeve, which had a place on it that said "write your activation code here".

The first one I found had been logged into an incorrect cache, to boot - it wasn't on the inventory of the cache I found it in, but in the inventory of one a mile away.

I suspect that was done deliberately since the same cacher had left a wooden nickel with the same geocoin name on it in the other cache. I assume the motive was to foil or annoy coin thieves, but it was confusing to a newbie cacher, especially since I didn't get to the second cache until three weeks later, and the leaver of the coin didn't bother to answer the message I sent asking about it.

I eventually figured out for myself that I should "grab" it from the cache I actually found it in, of course.

Before I pay for a membership, can new caches be set by zip code location? I live in the Upper Penninsula Michigan and the puldown tab didn't have ANY cities from up here to use as close coords. I live in Iron Mountain 49801..... hence my moniker....lol

Watching the website, no you can't set zip codes, you either watch this or this and click the pages to see if any are near, or run your usual zipcode search often and look for 'new' in the lists.

As for insta notices, yea you can set zip codes. You set a zip code (or a coordinate), a distance out, the type of caches you want notices for, and you want notices for (besides newly published caches, you can get notices for archive, unarchive, disable, enable, and retracted logs)

I would not presume to tell anyone what to do with their dinero, but upgrading your membership is totally worth it, IMHO. In addition to FTF notifications by zip code, you can be notified of tons of other things as well. The benefits of zooming in or out with the map features are nice also. :P

What is the advantage of printing in PDF? I noticed this as a members only feature

Edited by rustybones49801