60Cx Compass setting

andman

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx, this is the unit without the electronic compass.

I have two questions about the compass feature in this unit before I head out on my first Geocache hunt today.

Should I set it to Course Pointer or Bearing Pointer?

Should it be set to True or Magnetic? I'm in New Jersey if that matters.

Thanks!

Bearing pointer.

How do they differ? I read the instructions but I still can't figure out what the difference is.

The Bearing pointer directs you in a straight line from your current position to the waypoint.

The Course pointer directs you to the "course" which is the straight line between where the navigation started and the waypoint. The is used in marine and air navigation where it is important that you stay on a fixed course.

Bearing pointer.

How do they differ? I read the instructions but I still can't figure out what the difference is.

The Bearing pointer directs you in a straight line from your current position to the waypoint.

The Course pointer directs you to the "course" which is the straight line between where the navigation started and the waypoint. The is used in marine and air navigation where it is important that you stay on a fixed course.

I see, thanks!