Garmin GPS 60 usb and macintosh

Uncle Yo

I am thinking of buying a Garmin 60 and it comes with a USB cable...will I be able to connect to a macintosh using GSB connect software and download waypoints to find caches? Or can I just skip the software issue and just manually enter coordinates into the unit? i read where it is difficult to manually enter coordinates into this unit...any truth to this?

Manually entering co ordinates is easy, once you work out how to do it. It was discussed fairly recently. It took me ages to work out. But its not a problem now.

Thanks for your help! Use new to this appreciate the time you give. I also have a garmin 60 cs and love it. Do you or any other 60 cs owner now the following-

1) When you state enter coordinance manually- does this mean to mark a waypoint and then change the coordinance and name to cache 1, etc?

2) I have an option to setup my geocache which askes for find or found and calendar entry with many symbols, but when I do this, it doen't insert a open treasure symbol. Can someone walk me through this!

3) Do know it to be true the following: When you arrive at a cache location, they say to walk around it in a circle to locate it, and know your just circled it. My screen will only zoom in to 20 feet.

So, is the basic premise this: enter the coordinance, chose to calculate a route as the crow flies, follow it and then try to locate the cache. Should there be more to it?

Thanks again,

Joshua, Austin and Leanna

I am thinking of buying a Garmin 60 and it comes with a USB cable...will I be able to connect to a macintosh using GSB connect software and download waypoints to find caches? Or can I just skip the software issue and just manually enter coordinates into the unit? i read where it is difficult to manually enter coordinates into this unit...any truth to this?

Just use GPSBabel+. Make sure you have the current version.

If you read the other posts you will find a ton of info. :anitongue:

I'm not sure where this post came from, but the forum where you are reading this now is the probably the most appropriate one.

Since your questions really have nothing to do with the subject of the thread, that's bad - you've limited the audience of people able/willing to answer your question.

Luckily for you, your questions are answered in the collection of FAQs pinned at the top of this group and mentioned in the signatures of many of the frequent posters you'll stumble across when reading or searching this group.

I'm not sure where this post came from, but the forum where you are reading this now is the probably the most appropriate one.

Since your questions really have nothing to do with the subject of the thread, that's bad - you've limited the audience of people able/willing to answer your question.

Luckily for you, your questions are answered in the collection of FAQs pinned at the top of this group and mentioned in the signatures of many of the frequent posters you'll stumble across when reading or searching this group.

Thanks Robertlipe for you help! Did you move it already or should I relist the qestions!

Joshua

Entering coordinates manually is easy, but time consuming, especially for multiple waypoints. However, the 60C is very easy to connect to a Mac with USB--one of the reasons I chose that model.

There are several programs available--GPS Babel has already been mentioned. Another I believe is called load my tracks, and there is Mac SimpleGPS. For commercial programs, I use MacGPS Pro and am very happy with it. GPSy is also available and looks nice, but I have not used it, or the free/shareware programs.

Slightly off topic, but related:

I just discovered something about GPSBabel+ 1.3.0 for Mac. If you drag and drop a .gpx file into the file selection box in the "Quick GPSBabel" window, it will not give you the "Send GPS..." button at the bottom. If you use the "Select.." button to pick a file, it works fine.

I thought my GPS wasn't working, having read all about the intermittant USB connectivity issues, but turns out to be a bug in the GPSBabel+ GUI.