Traditional versus Micro

rick2560

Can anyone please tell me where I can find any guidelines that tell you how to post a cache? Such as, is it a traditional or should it be posted as a micro? We have found several today that we would consider MICRO's. All they had was a log or maybe 1-2 items such as lapel pins, no room for anything else. However, they were posted as traditional cache's. Thanks!

Traditional is a cache type. Other cache types include multicache, mystery/unknown cache, letterbox hybrid cache, event cache and CITO event.

A traditional cache can come in any size: micro, small, regular or large.

The cache type is defined by its hunt characteristics. Thus, a traditional cache is one which is found at the posted coordinates in a single stage hunt, ending in a container that holds a logbook. A microcache meets that definition, and so does a five gallon bucket.

The cache types are all explained in the listing guidelines in great detail. You can also click on any cache icon on a cache page, which will take you to a summary page on cache types.

a micro is a type of traditional cache. on geocaching.com only the size is considered different.

I personally agree that they should be considered an altogether different type, but technically, that is not currently the case.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

A micro can be a traditional, but it can also be a multi or puzzle cache. I've even seen a micro letterbox hybrid.

a micro is a type of traditional cache. on geocaching.com only the size is considered different.

I personally agree that they should be considered an altogether different type, but technically, that is not currently the case.

A micro can be a traditional, but it can also be a multi or puzzle cache. I've even seen a micro letterbox hybrid.

good point. I assumed that wasn't what he was talking about, but you are perfectly correct.

You saw a letterbox micro hybrid! Wow!

Whereas the distinction is size verses type of placement, i wonder if it should be clearer that it's a micro rather than a larger traditional cache.

You saw a letterbox micro hybrid! Wow!

Whereas the distinction is size verses type of placement, i wonder if it should be clearer that it's a micro rather than a larger traditional cache.

It says if its a micro on the cache page and also on the search results page. The same way cache type is shown.

As far as letterbox hybrid micros, here's one.