Memory Card for Garmin 60CSx

starbox189

I just bought a Garmin 60CSx and a 2GB Sandisk Micro SD TransFlash for it. Both are in the mail. I have heard that some people are having problems downloading into certain memory cards. Is the card I have coming okay?? Which cards are problematic??

People have reported problems with the "Ultra" version of the Sandisk, so make sure the one you get doesn't say "Ultra". Otherwise the 2GB cards are working fine. (The only limitation is you can only load 2025(?) map segments; this would only be a problem if you wanted to load a lot of TOPO maps, which tend to have small segments.

If I recall correctly, Garmin's site originally said the limit was 256MB cards, which was all that were out and readily available at the time. Users here spent some time testing the 512M card and an update to MapSource allowed them to be used. Now 1GB cards are widely available and tested by Garmin. I expect they'll update the specs when they are satisfied with their tests of 2GB cards.

I believe the limit is still 2025 map tiles, but a firmware upgrade may change that. Give it a try and report back to us! And stay away from the "Ultra" card technology. It cooks GPSrs.

If I recall correctly, Garmin's site originally said the limit was 256MB cards, which was all that were out and readily available at the time. Users here spent some time testing the 512M card and an update to MapSource allowed them to be used. Now 1GB cards are widely available and tested by Garmin. I expect they'll update the specs when they are satisfied with their tests of 2GB cards.

I believe the limit is still 2025 map tiles, but a firmware upgrade may change that. Give it a try and report back to us! And stay away from the "Ultra" card technology. It cooks GPSrs.

I wonder where Garmin can still find 64M chips they put in the new GPSs :laughing: They are collectibles by now !

A hint, try to standardize all your equipments to the ones using SD or micro SD cards and only buy the micros SD. So you can swap among them. I use the Garmin 64M with the adapter in a small pocket camera for example.

A 2 GB chip for a GPS seems like a bit of overkill. Mapsource City Navigator NT can fit the entire US on a 1 GB chip and still have room to spare... a 2 GB chip seems like a waste of money. My 1 GB chip was $29.99 shipped to my door.

Aside from that, though, Garmin's web site says up to 1 GB supported, but other have reported 2 GBs work as well, so you should be fine. You'll certainly have plenty of room for POI files. :lol:

A 2 GB chip for a GPS seems like a bit of overkill. Mapsource City Navigator NT can fit the entire US on a 1 GB chip and still have room to spare... a 2 GB chip seems like a waste of money. My 1 GB chip was $29.99 shipped to my door.

Aside from that, though, Garmin's web site says up to 1 GB supported, but other have reported 2 GBs work as well, so you should be fine. You'll certainly have plenty of room for POI files. :lol:

I guess with the extra memory, one can install several maps at the same time...be it TOPO or Blue Chart and City Navigator.