Problems with running Garmin Topo from hard drive

crash331

I have done the registry hack and I am having problems. When I load up mapsource, if I pick Topo East, mapsource will just quit. No error or anything. If i try to reload mapsource, it still tries to load the Topo East and crashes again. I have to either reinstall mapsource or reinstall the topo software so it defaults back to Topo West. All the others work fine, City Select, Topo West, Hawaii, Alaska. Just east is messed up. To make sure I didn't mess up in the registry, I copied all the CDs to the HDD and ran the install from the Hdd. I still get the same problem.

I have done the registry hack and I am having problems. When I load up mapsource, if I pick Topo East, mapsource will just quit. No error or anything. If i try to reload mapsource, it still tries to load the Topo East and crashes again. I have to either reinstall mapsource or reinstall the topo software so it defaults back to Topo West. All the others work fine, City Select, Topo West, Hawaii, Alaska. Just east is messed up. To make sure I didn't mess up in the registry, I copied all the CDs to the HDD and ran the install from the Hdd. I still get the same problem.

I had the same problem once, I had to uninstall, delete all garmin mapsource keys from the registry, then reboot and reinstall. If you do the registry hack again, be carefull of the spelling and file location (location got me). I recommend using the copy to HD first and then install trick, that way it does its own keys. Good luck.

I haven't heard of the registry hack, link anybody? Anyway I was having the same problems everytime I tried to switch to TOPO east. Had to reinstall a few times. Just recently updated to the new version of mapsource 6.11 I think, as well as run the update for TOPO that is on the Garmin website. Not sure which one of these fixed the problems but all seems to be running well as of now. We'll see how long it lasts.

I haven't heard of the registry hack, link anybody? Anyway I was having the same problems everytime I tried to switch to TOPO east. Had to reinstall a few times. Just recently updated to the new version of mapsource 6.11 I think, as well as run the update for TOPO that is on the Garmin website. Not sure which one of these fixed the problems but all seems to be running well as of now. We'll see how long it lasts.

The problem is probably the one fixed by the "Topo Basemap Patch"; you can download this at

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

(the download on the right side of the window).

Here is a link to one place that describes ho to do it: Moving Mapsource Data Locally but basically you copy the files to the hard drive and change the keys to reflect their new location. The second method works too if you use it when you first install. If not you would have to uninstall, delete any Garmin keys and reinstall using that method to keep from having any errors.