Delete certain types of logs?

pppingme

I was watching a cache (manually, not via a watch list). One day I looked at it and at the top of the cache page it said it was archived. I looked through the logs, and except for having a dnf or two, there was nothing to indicate why it was archived. This cache had also had several find logs against it since it went to an archived status.

I wrote the local reviewer and asked him what he thought.

He indicated that it appeared to him that the owner archived it, then deleted the archive log. It appears that he was able to undelete/unarchive that log entry, which didn't really contain any info (owner didn't indicate why), but at least that adds to the history of that cache indicating that it is truly supposed to be archived.

Should these types of log entries be deletable?

Another posibility I thought of is Did the cache owner think that by deleting the archive entry he was re-enabling the cache?

My guess would be that the cache owner did not intend to archive this cache or intended to unarchive this cache. So its not really that I'm worried about the reason, or viewing his log, it was the complete absence of a log that bugged me.

It is my understanding that a log that creates an action (needs maint. is a good example) can NOT be modified, and I've seen several people strugle with this in the forums (again focusing on the need maint example), but if an "action" type log can't be modified, why CAN it be deleted??

I guess this is more of a bug report, because the complete lack of the log can create confusion. As is obvious on this cache, as its still there, and there are still people finding it since I discovered that it was "flagged" as archived.

By the way, the local reviewer has since "unarchived" the cache, as it has had at least 4 finds in the last month (cache was apparently archived a little over a month ago).

It is my understanding that a log that creates an action (needs maint. is a good example) can NOT be modified, and I've seen several people strugle with this in the forums (again focusing on the need maint example), but if an "action" type log can't be modified, why CAN it be deleted??

I guess the question is 'what is modified?'

I think you can edit the text on log, you just can't change the type of log it was. Which I guess makes sense if "action" logs cause some certain thing to happen then and only right then, wouldn't being able to change the type mean the thing that happend should change too???

And if we can edit the text, why not be to delete it? I mean I understand it can be confusing to not have a log at all, but if an "action" log was posted and triggered something to happen, its going to stay that way unless the counter(?) type is posted (ex. enable/disable, needs maintainces/maintance performed, published/?archived). So you know there was that type of log if you can only see its effect.