Enabling "GOTO" Geocache sites on an eXplorist 210

okiegeek

I'm about ready to pull my hair out on this one. Here's the scenario:

I load up a bunch of cache sites onto my eXplorist 210 (entering them in Magellan's geocache software by hand until I can purchase a premium membership, but that's another story.) So, I get out into the field and press "GOTO" on my GPS. I then navigate to my saved Geocache locations, and select the one I want. Now, here's the problem. It shows a "GOTO" line on the map, but if I cycle through the NAV screens to the screen with the compass the "GOTO" feature is gone.

BUT...

If I am on the map screen, and select "MARK," to mark my current position, then edit the coordinates to match my Geocache point and then select GOTO, the compass screen will put the point's icon on the outer ring of the compass and let me walk to it, constantly updating my distance from the point.

What I want, is to select "GOTO," navigate to my cache locations, select a cache, and have the cache's icon placed on the outer ring of the compass so I can start walking to it.

Is this even possible?

Rob

Shouldn't you bring up the cache waypoint first, then hit GOTO?

I've got a Magellan Meridian and you can do it either way. Either select Goto and then pick the one you want, or navigate to your waypoints and hit goto when you see the one you want. Either way, all the screeens from there on should look the same including the icon on the compass screen.

Okay, I'm no expert here, but I have been using the 210 for a couple of months. I've been doing what you're trying to do many times. So I know it's possible. I don't use the Magellan software. I've learned to use GSAK & it's worth learning.

The way I understand the 210 is that you can download POIs as POIs or Geocaches. When downloading using GSAK, they go to the Geocaching folder. When I view the cache, I get extra information that came from the GC web site (using Pocket Queries).

When you push "mark" you are creating a regular POI. This seems to work for you on the compass screen. So I think your problem is with the Geocache point that you downloaded. If I pick a Geocache point, the icon appears on the compass screen, just fine. So I know it works.

What folder are your cache points going to on the 210? I'd go to Preferences, Active Setup & make sure that folder is picked as the active Geocache folder or POI folder.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I think if you check where your points are stored on the 210 (folder) & then look at the Active Setup, you'll figure it out.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I think if you check where your points are stored on the 210 (folder) & then look at the Active Setup, you'll figure it out.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I was messing around with it this morning before work, and it started working. I have no clue what I was doing wrong, but it appears to be working now.

Thanks for being patient!

Rob (Okiegeek)

Edited by okiegeek

I've been having this same issue.

I download from GSAK, using the GPS, Send to eXplorist menu commands. If I mark a POI, then it displays on the compass screen, but if I do GOTO, Nearest Geocache, and then select the Geocache, it doesn't display on the compass screen.

I'll go play around with it some and see what I can find....

Edited by parker313