Google Earth Plus

Ok, When I first clicked on the link that takes us to Google Earth, it showed caches. Then I got a message that said I have exceeded my views for the day. I figured, ok maybe they are limiting the views to the free version of GE+. So, I upgraded. Still getting the same message. I then posted in their forum as to whether anyone knew of a fix for the problem. They said that its a problem with the Geocaching web site and not Googles problem. Obviously theres a software connection between the two. Im a premium member here and a paid subscriber on GE+. So does anyone have an idea as to what the problem may be. And Ive already read what people think about GE so , dont bore me with information I am not looking for. I like GE aand thats all that matters.

hi, I'll try to give you a quick answer and I'm sure others can jump in..(and this thread may get moved by the mods, not sure). try a search in the forums for for the google earth KML and see if there's more detail.

but, when I used the KML, which is the connector which lets GE talk to the Groundspeak servers, I can see the count..there's about 195 or maybe 200 views you have each day. each time you move the thing around and it sends a new query to the server to get the caches that would be in view, you use one click or count. when you use all that day, then you probably get what happened to you.

it's most likely not a question of being a paid member, and isn't a 'problem' or bug, but is probably a limit set to limit the total traffic that the Groundspeak server can handle to process KML queries from GE worldwide each day.

I found 200 to last me quite a while, so I wonder if a different planning approach would use the queries more efficiently (e.g. are you scrolling around alot?). Also, you can temporarily turn off the KML (there's a checkbox on the left side of GE..un check it and it won't query the server). perhaps doing your map planning without the KML running, and then when you know where you want to see caches, turn on the KML. thus, you'd use fewer clicks in just manipulating the map / earth.

as a backup, if you do a query online on geocaching.com, and then click the 'map the results' icon at the top, then the 'show results in google maps (beta)', you can see and scroll in google maps similarly (no, it's not GE, but there's no click limit). And, it does similar functions (however, I've noticed that when there are more than a certain # of caches in view, it randomly displays a subset of them..haven't figured out yet how it selects them other than 'random').

anyway, this is some basic info, I'm sure others can validate or refute, but is my hunch, and hopefully gets you some info quick.

good luck...

That sounds perfectly logical to me. The reason I wanted to use GE+ was to have an easier way to see caches along a route or an interstate highway. Or near a fparticular area. Are there other sources out there that will do the same thing? I too noticed that it will show 3-4 of the same cache hide buttons. Not too sure why its doing that. Thanks alot for the information

Edited by Raptor660R

That sounds perfectly logical to me. The reason I wanted to use GE+ was to have an easier way to see caches along a route or an interstate highway. Or near a fparticular area. Are there other sources out there that will do the same thing? I too noticed that it will show 3-4 of the same cache hide buttons. Not too sure why its doing that. Thanks alot for the information

And what is really neat is converting a mountain hike track from GDB to KML and then viewing it in Google. And you can send your KML file to friends to brag :D

as a backup, if you do a query online on geocaching.com, and then click the 'map the results' icon at the top, then the 'show results in google maps (beta)', you can see and scroll in google maps similarly (no, it's not GE, but there's no click limit). And, it does similar functions (however, I've noticed that when there are more than a certain # of caches in view, it randomly displays a subset of them..haven't figured out yet how it selects them other than 'random').

good luck...

Not yet a premium member (waiting until I get a cable so I can utilize all the features) I use this method. Any time the number of caches on that page exceed 20, it goes to random. Click the zoom until you are down to under 20 caches, and you will be getting all in that area shown. You do have to click the cache name on the right, then go above the map and click it again to get the cache page to open (I open in a new tab so I don't lose the map). It is slow, but it works.