Miles Per Dollar (MP$)

Pablo Mac

...I suppose it's where you live. Around here the most aggressive professional drivers are the tri-axle drivers. ... The second are the port workers who move shipping containers around and they are in the same boat--paid by the load and several loads per day. ...
I suspect that most of us are like me and have no idea what you are talking about.
What CR is saying is there is a difference between your standard 18 wheeler and a dump truck or a truck hauling a container...

And living in a port city, I agree completely. I feel safe around an otr / 18 wheeler, and can't stand to see the dump trucks or containers..

I honestly couldn't tell you if the truck that is on my bumper is a 'standard' 18 wheeler or is hauling a container. I can tell if it's a dump truck, but in my experience, the only hazard with dump trucks on the interstate is that they drive slower. Typically, they're in a work zone anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Just got to the TA truck stop at exit 5 in Pa. 737 miles in 14 hours, rain 400+ if those, only one jerk!

I was in the hammer lane passing a line of traffic, two big rigs in front of me, when a third rig starts bulldozing from behind, no more than 5' behind me, as if there were some way to get out of his way!

Still, with the thousands of other drivers along that route, 1 jerk isn't bad - but one is all it takes!

If I or anyone in front of me had needed to hit the brakes for any reason there's no way that guy could have reacted in time to miss me and likely caused a multi-car pileup.

What any of this has to do with MP$ I.m not real sure! time to kick back and sleep till my guest arrives at 8 a.m., then head back to Tn!

Just got to the TA truck stop at exit 5 in Pa. 737 miles in 14 hours, rain 400+ if those, only one jerk!

I was in the hammer lane passing a line of traffic, two big rigs in front of me, when a third rig starts bulldozing from behind, no more than 5' behind me, as if there were some way to get out of his way!

Still, with the thousands of other drivers along that route, 1 jerk isn't bad - but one is all it takes!

If I or anyone in front of me had needed to hit the brakes for any reason there's no way that guy could have reacted in time to miss me and likely caused a multi-car pileup.

What any of this has to do with MP$ I.m not real sure! time to kick back and sleep till my guest arrives at 8 a.m., then head back to Tn!

Still, whether I'm in a truck, my car, or on my bike, I don't let big trucks intimidate me. In fact, if I see one driving unsafe I'll get the company name and report them. I've done it plenty of times.

But you do get out of the way if a big semi cuts you off don't you?? I mean, you don't try to play

"chicken" or anything like that with a tractor-trailer while on a bicycle do you???

If you really DO any of the above.........can I have your left over ammo cans? :D

Edited by chuckwagon101

One last thing about blaming big trucks for your woes.

A study in 1997, the last year I could find figures on such stuff, fatalities in crashes involving both a large vehicle (as defined by any vehicle over 10,001 lbs) vs a smaller vehicle it was found that errors that contributed to the crash most often happened by drivers of smaller vehicles. 80% of the time errors by small vehicle were reported while 28% of the time there were errors by the drivers of larger vehicles. Yes, the over lap is where both made errors.

Additionally, looking at simply the number of miles driven versus the number of fatalities, trucks are about two thirds as likely to be in a fatal crash as smaller vehicles.

Why are the numbers not nearly supporting the perception? It's because of exactly that, perception. Trucks are big and scary. Ooo!

Would you want to be in a crash versus a big truck? I think not, for the the very same reason some folks will only buy larger cars and SUVs. Of the fatalities in crash involving trucks and smaller vehicles 99% were the occupants of the smaller vehicle.

This is very disturbing to say the least. If there's going to be a fatality, 99% chance it's going to be the occupant of the smaller vehicle and 80% chance they're the ones that made an error.

This brings me to the query I posed to TAR and I'm not going to wait for his answer as I'm going to present what he should have done. Regardless of what you are driving, if someone is tailgating you, you increase your following distance. This is taught in motorcycle safety courses. A motorcycle can stop a lot quicker than your average automobile. Being aware of this and anyone behind you, you can regulation your deceleration. Give them time to stop.

But, if you, yourself, are tailgating you don't have that time. That's why if someone is tailgating you, you simply increase the distance between you and the person in front of you. Problem solved.

Hope this helps someone.

Still, whether I'm in a truck, my car, or on my bike, I don't let big trucks intimidate me. In fact, if I see one driving unsafe I'll get the company name and report them. I've done it plenty of times.

But you do get out of the way if a big semi cuts you off don't you??

I'm still here aren't I?

"Intimidation" is a state mind. "Playing chicken" is a fool's game.

Also, it's not a bicycle, it's a motorcycle. Riding a bicycle on the highway around here takes more guts than I got, let me tell you.

Edited by CoyoteRed
One last thing about blaming big trucks for your woes.

A study in 1997, the last year I could find figures on such stuff, fatalities in crashes involving both a large vehicle (as defined by any vehicle over 10,001 lbs) vs a smaller vehicle it was found that errors that contributed to the crash most often happened by drivers of smaller vehicles. 80% of the time errors by small vehicle were reported while 28% of the time there were errors by the drivers of larger vehicles. Yes, the over lap is where both made errors.

On the other hand, we've lost about 5 LEOs locally in the last half a dozen years to truck drivers who weren't paying attention and ran them flat over. Sometimes they were in their cars with the lightbars lit. Sometimes they were out of the lane writing tickets. I don't know what this has to do with anything, but when you combine it with my daily driving experience, it paints a really ugly picture.
Additionally, looking at simply the number of miles driven versus the number of fatalities, trucks are about two thirds as likely to be in a fatal crash as smaller vehicles.
Fatal to the truck driver or the poor slob that he killed? Also, what about accidents that didn't result in a fatality?
Why are the numbers not nearly supporting the perception? It's because of exactly that, perception. Trucks are big and scary. Ooo!
A perception that is reinforced daily. The fact is, if drivers of smaller vehicles didn't get out of the truck's way, there would be even more accidents. Also, you have to consider that there is a great difference between the typical time of day the average driver is on the road v truck drivers.
Would you want to be in a crash versus a big truck? I think not, for the the very same reason some folks will only buy larger cars and SUVs. Of the fatalities in crash involving trucks and smaller vehicles 99% were the occupants of the smaller vehicle.
I can't argue with that. In fact, it was my point from earlier in the thread.
This is very disturbing to say the least. If there's going to be a fatality, 99% chance it's going to be the occupant of the smaller vehicle and 80% chance they're the ones that made an error.
That is a point that I tend to disagree with.
This brings me to the query I posed to TAR and I'm not going to wait for his answer as I'm going to present what he should have done. Regardless of what you are driving, if someone is tailgating you, you increase your following distance. This is taught in motorcycle safety courses. A motorcycle can stop a lot quicker than your average automobile. Being aware of this and anyone behind you, you can regulation your deceleration. Give them time to stop.

But, if you, yourself, are tailgating you don't have that time. That's why if someone is tailgating you, you simply increase the distance between you and the person in front of you. Problem solved.

That is good advice that is totally unworkable in rush hour (when we tend to be on the interstate). If you increase you following distance beyone the norm, two cars will pop in front of you. This will result in you needing to go slower to increase the distance and two more cars going in front of you. While this happening, what do you think the truck driver is doing? He's getting closer and closer to your bumper trying to force you to go faster.

Hope this helps someone.

Wow. You are the defacto Go-to Guy for How everything should be done by everyone arent you :D

Yes, very helpful and thank you. Ive been needing someone to tell me what I Should do, how I need to drive, to thank the reviewers, how to cache. . . . . Yup- I need the assistance.

If someone is tailgating you- Get out of their way= problem solved. They can go as fast as they want- and you can be safely out of thier way at your happy speed. Trying to think for other people isnt likely to help.

I maintain a safe following distance from the vehicle in front of me. If someone runs up on me, I simply let them by, But I dont slow down (Increase your following distance=Slowing down).

On topic- My last tank I got 4.51 MP$ Yippe!

Wow. You are the defacto Go-to Guy for How everything should be done by everyone arent you

Hey, it's not my opinion or conclusions. I'm just passing along information that was compiled or taught by Motorcycle Safety Foundation, US Government Accountability Office (as reported as ways to spend money to further reduce highway fatalities), and various administrations of the Department of Transportation. It's all public record.

Fatal to the truck driver or the poor slob that he killed? Also, what about accidents that didn't result in a fatality?

Um, that would be fatal to anyone. It illustrations smaller vehicle drivers get into more fatal crashes per mile driven than those of larger vehicles regardless of the size of the other vehicle or whether there was another vehicle.

I'd also like to point out that while big trucks might intimidate folks in SUVs, folks in SUVs also intimidate those in even smaller vehicles.

That is good advice that is totally unworkable in rush hour (when we tend to be on the interstate). If you increase you following distance beyond the norm, two cars will pop in front of you. This will result in you needing to go slower to increase the distance and two more cars going in front of you. While this happening, what do you think the truck driver is doing? He's getting closer and closer to your bumper trying to force you to go faster.

I'm going to side with CoyoteRed on this particular point. :D

CR's good advice is workable in rush hour. Yes, if you increase your own forward separation in heavy traffic other drivers will jump in to fill the gap -- every time. In my experience, however, this actually seems to enhance the effectiveness of the maneuver: the tailgating moron behind me will only put up with that for a short time before he'll quickly give up and go on around. There's usually a horn and/or finger associated with the ensuing pass, but hey, that's his problem. And if he chooses NOT to pass me, well then he's also choosing to be mired in what is now the slowest lane! Justice!

Problem solved.
... and if everyone would treat the tailgater the same way he would soon give up on tailgating as an intimidation tactic. Speeding up or moving over when someone squeezes dangerously close behind you only rewards their behavior, encouraging them to do it again next time.

The next step would be to factor in a vehicle payment. I'm hesitant to go for a higher MP$ vehicle, as my truck is paid for. You're gonna pay either way, whether at the bank or the pump.

I just dumped my 5 year old paid off Explorer 4X4 for a smaller sportier car. Doubled the MPG, but that payment's gonna be painful! On the other hand, not spending an extra buck-fifty/month on repairs :huh: It works out about even between the the payment vs gas savings/repair bills.

Oh, and for the OP 10.22 is my magic number as calculated by your link.

Edited by Mr. & Mrs. Lighteye

But you do get out of the way if a big semi cuts you off don't you??

I'm still here aren't I?

"Intimidation" is a state mind. "Playing chicken" is a fool's game.

Also, it's not a bicycle, it's a motorcycle. Riding a bicycle on the highway around here takes more guts than I got, let me tell you.

Well, I guess that means I don't get your ammo cans! :antenna:

This is a topic better left for OT, but since you mentioned it here...

You generally get pretty good MP$ on public transit.

Well perhaps - BUT, only if you actually IF you actually USE public transit, and IF you discount the tax dollars that you're paying to subsidize it. And the reason YOUR MP$ is so high is because of all of the rest of US who are unwillingly forced to subsidize public transit. If everyone paid ME to drive, regardless of whether they rode with me or not, my MP$ would be pretty high too. :mad:

Edited by ParrotRob