Help with my Geocaching ventures?

briderx

Hey guys. I've been Geocaching for about a week now. I started off with a Garmin Vista CX. I bought this a little over a week ago, because it was color screen, great battery life (I think like 30 hours) and just seemed like a pretty good little gadget. My only problem is, when I bought this device I was hoping to use it as well to navigate using turn-by-turn directions. I don't really like the way Garmin devices cost so much and then you need to spend even more to use their software. The basemaps are great for Geocaching, but that's not the only reason I bought it..

I have done some research, but can't really find anything that'd be around the same price (paid $349.99) and be a better product. Any ideas? Does Tom-Tom or Magellen make a better product? ANY info would be helpful! Thanks!

Edit: Also, is there a program that will tell me which type of caches they are, when loading them into my GPS? Because I always have to check online to see if it's a multicache, or traditional, micro... ETC..

And, what do you think about PDA GPS? Is it any good?

Edited by briderx

Tom-Toms work well in the car but I don't think they are meant to take outside the car for geocaching. Magellan units are fine, but Garmin's autorouting software is much better. You will need to pay extra for Magellan's software as well.

The only handheld units that Garmin now makes that come with the software included in the price are the Quest models. They are chiefly designed for the car, but can be taken out and used for geocaching and do a pretty good job.

As far as the PDA GPSes they work fine, but are designed for the auto and office. They are not built to handle the outdoors.

Also, is there a program that will tell me which type of caches they are, when loading them into my GPS? Because I always have to check online to see if it's a multicache, or traditional, micro... ETC..

You have two good choices. If you own a cheap PDA, you can load Cachemate to it. That will give you all the cache pages right on your PDA. Cachemate is only $8 and is a great app.

Another is to use Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK). Using GSAK you can manipulate the cache data before its sent to the GPS. Some people change the CC numbeer to GMxxxx for multi, GTxxxx for traditional, GPxxxx for puzzle, etc... Others append some code to the end of the GC number, while another choice is to place the information in the comments section along with the cache name. GSAK is $20 and though a little complicated, quite powerful.

I recently purchased a Garmin eTrex Legend Cx which was in a "bundle" for mobile navigation. The bundle included the eTrex Legend Cx, North America Detailed Maps, Car Charger and mounts for $399. Throw in the $50 Garmin Rebate and I'm at $349.

I would say check around and see if you can find a packaged deal. Mine was at Best Buy and I bought the last one on the shelf.

Go Luck! :rolleyes:

Hey guys. I've been Geocaching for about a week now. I started off with a Garmin Vista CX. I bought this a little over a week ago, because it was color screen, great battery life (I think like 30 hours) and just seemed like a pretty good little gadget. My only problem is, when I bought this device I was hoping to use it as well to navigate using turn-by-turn directions. I don't really like the way Garmin devices cost so much and then you need to spend even more to use their software. The basemaps are great for Geocaching, but that's not the only reason I bought it..

I have done some research, but can't really find anything that'd be around the same price (paid $349.99) and be a better product. Any ideas? Does Tom-Tom or Magellen make a better product? ANY info would be helpful! Thanks!

Edit: Also, is there a program that will tell me which type of caches they are, when loading them into my GPS? Because I always have to check online to see if it's a multicache, or traditional, micro... ETC..

This info. may help.

From what I have read I am convinced the Magellan Platinum is superior to the newer units. I have used them for years and currently have 4 , 2 of which I got on ebay. They have a 3 axis compass, sd card slot, sunken-large screen, wonderfull operating buttons, quad-helix antenna all of which the new ones lack ( some have some features, but not all) The Mapsend software works great with these.....I'm including a list which may be of use to you......it was posted by a couple of us on our states website. You can get these on EBAY with extras.

LIST OF USUFULL GEOCACHING ITEMS

I can’t say that mine is better than any other because I have only used 1 other. But my Magellan Meridian Color with Mapsend Software gets the job done. I can carry the whole Southeast US on my 500 mb sd card and have plenty of room for more. That includes dirt and gravel roads. Last summer, I lead a column of cars carrying 19 people across the Florida countryside in the middle of the night for 4 hours, and I did it from the rear of the column via CB radio. Missing signs were not a problem. That’s real-time mapping capability in a practical application. Superior signal stability under harsh conditions, etc, etc. So Watcha, what kind of Magellan are you using? And what did you do to provoke it?

Doggy is right.......again.

Bamette and I each use a Meridian Platinum ( Magellan) with Directroute Software and I have a Platinum for a spare. With the SD card capability you can store maps, lists of caches, etc. ( an immense amount) and you also have an electronic compass, big screen, easy to use buttons, and maintain a lock under heavy canopy for hours. I also have two Garmins but the Platinums are the way to go.

Grab you a couple of Palms on ebay, download spinner and plucker, and you're good to go. On a cross country trip you could load dozens of spinner files ( one for each city?) on your Magellans SD card and use plucker to put each one on your Palm, charge your batteries, and you're ready for weeks of caching ( you can also get the Platinum GPS on ebay w/ lots of extras for about $150.).

A convenient holster will give you a place to carry and protect your gpsr. A PDA holster will do the same for your PDA. An adaptor for your cig lighter will stretch your batteries life. A probe will help you avoid biting varmints. A mirror with an intense pocket flashlight will get you past those out-of-sighters. I like to use a lensatic compass for precision. I also use a wrist compass clipped to my watchband for qlance orientation. That’s just on the weekends of course. I like it so much that I’m looking for 2 more, one for my dress watch and the other for my son. I guess they’re out of season? If you are really loaded for bear, bring along a metal detector. If the cache has a coin in it or is made of metal, it will give you the edge. I guess that’s about it. I’m not saying I do that. It’s an interesting thought though

To add to the geocache tool list you must buy a top of the line MAHA battery charger ( I use three) and a supply of MAHA POWERX Ni MH batteries .....these are the best made ( don't take my word for it, look it up ) then you will have plenty of batteries for your digital camera ( my wife and I each carry one), GPS unit, flashlights etc.

For a small , powerfull flashlight you can't beat a Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax ( 5 blinding watts of LED driven by two 3 volt lithium batteries.....the batteries are $15 for a box of twelve and have a 10 year shelf life....kind of pricy but well worth it...will light up the woods.

I don't know if the most important thing was mentioned....a good walking stick. Local cachers and special guests can get one free at the View Carre' cache.......don't leave your car without your stick.

Also a small pocket screwdriver for digging out micro logs and other probing.

AND DON’T FORGET TO BRING A PENCIL.

LIST From Above :

1. Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS Unit + Belt Holster (EBAY- If you will have a regular partner , get two )

2. Palm M500 PDA and case ( ebay- buy an extra for backup )

3. 12” metal probe for searching tree cavities etc. for micro caches

4. 2 “ or 3” extension mirror

5. Small, intense flashlight ( Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax )

6. Pencil

7. Sharpie ( Fine Point)

8. Cotton Gloves

9. Pocket Screwdriver

10. Walking stick

11. Plastimo Iris 50 Hand Bearing Compass ( Great for offset caches)

12. C401FSDC MAHA NiMH Battery Charger

13. Maha 2500 mAh NiMH PowerX AA Batteries (GPS,camera,flashlights,etc. )

14. Digital Camera

15. Access to computer w/ internet connection ( premium membership in geocaching.com is best )

INFORMATION ON PAPERLESS CACHING

I got started with step by step info. I got from the Florida Geocaching website and I keep copies here at my View Carre' cache to hand out to others. I am not hi tech and can't quite use my cell phone but this guide is can't miss. If you can't find it email me and I can fax it to you.

http://www.floridageocaching.com/paperless.htm = step by step instructions.

From what I have read I am convinced the Magellan Platinum is superior to the newer units. I have used them for years and currently have 4 , 2 of which I got on ebay.

Not sure where you get that one. I have a Magellan Meridian and it sits gathering dust under the seat of my car, while I use my Garmin 60CX for geocaching, hiking, auto navigation, etc... I find the Garmin to be, overall, a far better unit. The Meridian has an edge with reception, the Garmin with everything else.

I don't really like the way Garmin devices cost so much and then you need to spend even more to use their software. The basemaps are great for Geocaching, but that's not the only reason I bought it..

I'm new to caching myself, but... to have all the maps you might need/want on a unit the size of a Garmin eTrex, you'd have to have HUGE amount of memory... which would undoubtedly raise the price of the base unit a *lot* higher.

Which is why, I believe, the detailed street maps are sold seperately; if you buy the Metroguide for North America, you get all of the street maps (rural too) for U.S. and Canada, then load just the maps you need at the moment.

To give you an idea of how much space the maps take up - I have a slightly older monocolor Legend (bought on eBay for $70), which has 8 mgs of built-in memory for maps, doesn't take memory cards. The maps for JUST the Baltimore metro area, north to just below Wilmington DE, in a path about 40 miles wide, take up all of the memory.

IOW, I can't even put the entire state of MD on it - so it would clearly take a couple hundred mg of memory to put the entire Metroguide on it.

And speaking of Metroguide... the newest version, which as I understand it is just out, is Ver. 8. I picked up a new-in-the-box copy of Version 7 on eBay for $65 - works just fine. Yeah, it may not have the latest housing developments in it, but if I'd gotten into geocaching just a few months ago, it's what I'd have anyway. :anicute:

Also, I'm curious as to how you're coming up with a price of over $300... is that for a software package, or for memory cards with the maps preloaded? If it's for memory cards, what's the base capacity?

Yeah, a unit like the Legend with 8 megs of RAM will be pretty limited in terms of its mapping capacity.

I just bought a 1 gig microSD card to stick in my GPSMAP 60csx. If/when I buy the North America mapping package (whatever it's called) it will be able to hold all of the street mapping data for all of Canada and the USA! That will be impressive.

This info. may help.

From what I have read I am convinced the Magellan Platinum is superior to the newer units. I have used them for years and currently have 4 , 2 of which I got on ebay. They have a 3 axis compass, sd card slot, sunken-large screen, wonderfull operating buttons, quad-helix antenna all of which the new ones lack ( some have some features, but not all) The Mapsend software works great with these.....I'm including a list which may be of use to you......it was posted by a couple of us on our states website. You can get these on EBAY with extras.

LIST OF USUFULL GEOCACHING ITEMS

I can’t say that mine is better than any other because I have only used 1 other. But my Magellan Meridian Color with Mapsend Software gets the job done. I can carry the whole Southeast US on my 500 mb sd card and have plenty of room for more. That includes dirt and gravel roads. Last summer, I lead a column of cars carrying 19 people across the Florida countryside in the middle of the night for 4 hours, and I did it from the rear of the column via CB radio. Missing signs were not a problem. That’s real-time mapping capability in a practical application. Superior signal stability under harsh conditions, etc, etc. So Watcha, what kind of Magellan are you using? And what did you do to provoke it?

Doggy is right.......again.

Bamette and I each use a Meridian Platinum ( Magellan) with Directroute Software and I have a Platinum for a spare. With the SD card capability you can store maps, lists of caches, etc. ( an immense amount) and you also have an electronic compass, big screen, easy to use buttons, and maintain a lock under heavy canopy for hours. I also have two Garmins but the Platinums are the way to go.

Grab you a couple of Palms on ebay, download spinner and plucker, and you're good to go. On a cross country trip you could load dozens of spinner files ( one for each city?) on your Magellans SD card and use plucker to put each one on your Palm, charge your batteries, and you're ready for weeks of caching ( you can also get the Platinum GPS on ebay w/ lots of extras for about $150.).

A convenient holster will give you a place to carry and protect your gpsr. A PDA holster will do the same for your PDA. An adaptor for your cig lighter will stretch your batteries life. A probe will help you avoid biting varmints. A mirror with an intense pocket flashlight will get you past those out-of-sighters. I like to use a lensatic compass for precision. I also use a wrist compass clipped to my watchband for qlance orientation. That’s just on the weekends of course. I like it so much that I’m looking for 2 more, one for my dress watch and the other for my son. I guess they’re out of season? If you are really loaded for bear, bring along a metal detector. If the cache has a coin in it or is made of metal, it will give you the edge. I guess that’s about it. I’m not saying I do that. It’s an interesting thought though

To add to the geocache tool list you must buy a top of the line MAHA battery charger ( I use three) and a supply of MAHA POWERX Ni MH batteries .....these are the best made ( don't take my word for it, look it up ) then you will have plenty of batteries for your digital camera ( my wife and I each carry one), GPS unit, flashlights etc.

For a small , powerfull flashlight you can't beat a Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax ( 5 blinding watts of LED driven by two 3 volt lithium batteries.....the batteries are $15 for a box of twelve and have a 10 year shelf life....kind of pricy but well worth it...will light up the woods.

I don't know if the most important thing was mentioned....a good walking stick. Local cachers and special guests can get one free at the View Carre' cache.......don't leave your car without your stick.

Also a small pocket screwdriver for digging out micro logs and other probing.

AND DON’T FORGET TO BRING A PENCIL.

LIST From Above :

1. Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS Unit + Belt Holster (EBAY- If you will have a regular partner , get two )

2. Palm M500 PDA and case ( ebay- buy an extra for backup )

3. 12” metal probe for searching tree cavities etc. for micro caches

4. 2 “ or 3” extension mirror

5. Small, intense flashlight ( Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax )

6. Pencil

7. Sharpie ( Fine Point)

8. Cotton Gloves

9. Pocket Screwdriver

10. Walking stick

11. Plastimo Iris 50 Hand Bearing Compass ( Great for offset caches)

12. C401FSDC MAHA NiMH Battery Charger

13. Maha 2500 mAh NiMH PowerX AA Batteries (GPS,camera,flashlights,etc. )

14. Digital Camera

15. Access to computer w/ internet connection ( premium membership in geocaching.com is best )

INFORMATION ON PAPERLESS CACHING

I got started with step by step info. I got from the Florida Geocaching website and I keep copies here at my View Carre' cache to hand out to others. I am not hi tech and can't quite use my cell phone but this guide is can't miss. If you can't find it email me and I can fax it to you.

http://www.floridageocaching.com/paperless.htm = step by step instructions.

Wow, that was pretty indepth. I haven't thought about bringing a mirror and something to probe around.. Or even a flashlight for that matter. I usually try to keep a baggie of different things to drop off at different caches. I also use whatever is around to find the item. So, if it's under a log, and spider webs are all over the place, I'll just grab a stick or twig, knock them down and go in for the grab.

As for amounts of memory.. Currently, mine came with 64mb. I can load up all of washington on it with JUST the basemap.. I am from Tacoma, Washington, and have only so far been doing caches around my area (about 10 square miles). We are only @ about 250 feet ASL (above sea level), and it cuts out pretty bad (due to a very foresty state).

Should I just stick with my Vista CX and be happy with it? Or is there something better for the same money that I could buy? I want color screen..